Senior Java Engineer - Global Loyalty & Benefits
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join Team Amex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we champion your meaningful career journey with programs, benefits, and flexibility to back you personally and professionally. Every colleague shares in the company’s success.
That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to our customers, communities, and each other every day. And, we’ll do it with integrity and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they truly belong.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
Global Loyalty & Benefits are undertaking an exciting transformation and we need talented engineers and engineering leads who are willing to learn, collaborate and innovate, adapting to emerging trends and customer demands. The Loyalty platforms enable many of Amex’s most critical customer differentiators including the flagship Membership Rewards program, and we are constantly seeking new ways to offer value to our customers and drive growth for the company.
You will be part of our Partner Domain, developing the platforms and capabilities that enable Amex to create unique products in partnership with external companies around the world including Airlines, Hotel Chains and Retail among others. The team currently develop on a predominantly Java tech stack, which we will continue to evolve, grow and optimise in the medium term, however the role would also be suitable for a candidate looking to learn and move into golang in future.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Serve as a core team member to drive user story analysis, design, and delivery of responsive backend services - utilising best engineering principles
- Proactively look beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities
- Familiarity with API & integration patterns to securely communicate with backend services and clients
- Work in an agile delivery team with familiarity with the processes and ceremonies
- Seek and quickly understand industry standard technologies and solutions to resolve business or technical issues
- Good positive attitude, communication, willingness to learn and share with others
- Effectively manage work priorities and your time - both independently and as part of a team
- Bring a culture of innovation and experimentation, as well as manage risk taking to implement creative ideas.
- Bring a culture of continuous improvement and willingness to challenge the status quo
- Guide and mentor other engineers and collaborate with external teams & the Product Owner
- Lead the development of large-scale solutions to drive engagement and loyalty within our existing cardmember base and attract new customers to the Amex brand
- Drive, build and execute against a strategy and roadmap focused on synchronous MVC events and Spring batch processes to enrich and transfer data between Amex and partners
- Function as a leader on an agile team/s by contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Lead code reviews and automated testing
- Champion the principles of Lean Software Engineering
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Lead the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Partner with other development teams, testing and quality, and production support, to meet implementation dates and allow smooth transition throughout the development life-cycle
- Empower teams to automate deployments in test or production environments
- Empower teams to automatically scale applications based on the demand projections
- Take accountability for the success of the team/s achieving their goals
- Influence creative changes and improvements, challenging status quo, demonstrating risk taking, and implementing innovative ideas
- Be a productivity multiplier by analyzing work flow and contributing to enable teams to be more effective, productive, and demonstrating faster and stronger results
Minimum Qualifications/Tech Stack and Tooling:
- Spring Boot, Java v8+, Spring Batch
- Secure integration with API Gateways using REST endpoints
- Mockito, JUnit
- Oracle SQL
- Cucumber & BDD
- Kafka experience desirable
- Experience working with Git on small to medium sized teams
- Experience with container and container orchestration technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with Atlassian software development and collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org