Senior Engineer II (Java & Golang) - Global Loyalty & Benefits
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join Team Amex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we champion your meaningful career journey with programs, benefits, and flexibility to back you personally and professionally. Every colleague shares in the company’s success.
That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to our customers, communities, and each other every day. And, we’ll do it with integrity and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they truly belong.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team! You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering world-class cardmember experiences. We are looking for an innovative, experienced, and talented senior software engineer who will work closely with business unit and development team to develop new system capabilities as defined within the technical/ functional specifications
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Lead projects, design system solutions, develop custom applications and modify existing applications to meet distinct and changing business requirements
- Handle coding, debugging, and documentation, as well working closely with SRE team. Provide post implementation and ongoing production support
- Develop and design software applications, translating user needs into system architecture. Assess and validate application performance and integration of component systems and provide process flow diagrams. Test the engineering resilience of software and automation tools
- Identify innovative ideas and proof of concept to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers. Software Engineers who join our Loyalty Technology team will be assigned to one of several exciting teams that are developing a new, nimble, and modern loyalty platform which will support the key element of connecting with our customers where they are and how they choose to interact with American Express
- Developing solutions to drive engagement and loyalty within our existing cardmember base and attract new customers to the Amex brand
- Partner with other development teams, testing and quality, and production support, to meet implementation dates and allow smooth transition throughout the development life-cycle
- Focus on building and executing against a strategy and roadmap focused on moving from monolithic, tightly coupled, batch-based legacy platforms to a loosely coupled, event-driven, microservices-based architecture to meet our long-term business goals
- University Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field followed by 5+ years of experience in a modern development stack (Golang preferred)
- Experience in application design, software development, and testing, preferably in an Agile environment
- Experience working with Git on small to medium sized teams
- Experience with open-source frameworks is a plus – especially maintaining or contributing to open source projects
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases, including PostgreSQL, Couchbase, or Cassandra is a plus
- Experience designing and developing REST APIs for high volume clients
- Experience with continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Gitlab CI) a plus
- Experience with automated build and test frameworks a plus
- A proven hunger to learn new technologies and translate them into working software
- Experience with container and container orchestration technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes, a plus
- Experience with Atlassian software development and collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence, etc.), a plus
- Strong ability to develop unique, outside the box ideas
- Strong analytical, problem-solving/quantitative skills
- Willing to take risks, experiment, and share fresh perspectives
- Aptitude for learning and applying programming concepts
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external business partners
- Knowledge of payments industry
- Experience with coding skills across a variety of distributed technologies
- Experience with a broad range of software languages and payments technologies
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com