Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
The American Express’ vision for providing the world’s best customer experience every single day can only be achieved with ground-breaking products and experiences powered by innovation, modern engineering practices, enterprise-wide collaboration and platform velocity, which are core attributes from the Financial Crimes team vision.
We are looking for an staff engineer passionate for experimentation, continuous improvement and sound engineering practices who will lead the global financial crimes platform transformation, delivering Know-Your-Customers capabilities to meet the ever-increasing demand from regulators around the world, protecting our customers assets and enabling delightful experiences to customers and colleagues globally.
- ~50% of the time spent on coding and/or hands-on technical implementation
- Responsible for solving challenging technical problems and producing elegant solutions as an individual contributor
- Work with Enterprise Architecture, other Staff Engineers and Delivery teams to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach
- Provide technical mentorship to other software engineers at all levels, promoting a culture of inclusion, collaboration and technical excellence
- Have a Site Reliability Engineering approach to software delivery (alerts, paging, telemetry, incident management, threat-detection)
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct design reviews as needed
- Implement new, highly scalable platform components
- Improve and maintain existing components of the core platform
- Actively participate in team and company-wide architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- Enforce to release/project schedule and sprint achievements
- Analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software for use in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related environments
- Responsible for health and quality of the code across the portfolio, including leadership over SCM, functional testing, and CI/CD tool integration
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
- You have hands-on coding experience in modern Java (8+) e.g. functional concepts like reactive streams, lambdas, concurrency, alternative JVM languages such as Kotlin, Clojure a plus; hands-on Full Stack experience with Kafka, PostgreSQL, OneData, DB/Caches (Elastic/Redis), Dockers/Kubernetes.
- Proficient in cross-platform integration, middleware and company frameworks e.g. RTF, Ace Studio, Cornerstone, OneAmex frameworks, etc
- Expertise in building fault-tolerant, scalable solutions that are performed at a global enterprise scale
- You have proven track record leading core engineering functions: code reviews, design proposals, code style/structure, contribution guidelines, release conventions, testing strategy
- Experience modeling and architecting complicated business domains and associated methodologies/paradigms: i.e. Domain Driven Design, Event Sourcing, CQRS
- Expertise in distributed architectural patterns: event driven microservices, distributed transactions: sagas, append-only logs, change data capture, idempotent consumer, eventual consistency
- Advanced understanding of software design patterns: object oriented, functional, reactive, data-intensive, scalability, availability principles
- Expertise designing elegant and consumable APIs, full dominion of OpenAPI, gateway concepts, authentication/authorization OAuth, JWT
- Expertise in InfoSec practices: penetration testing, cryptography, network security
- You are capable of instilling accountability and achieving results via iterative development to prioritize working software over heavy processes and extensive documentation
- You have the courage to challenge the status quo and also encourages different points of views to mitigate biased decisions;
- Able to diagnose, resolve, and prevent the recurrence of system downtime
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge of Financial Crimes is desired
- University Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent experience
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com.