Java Engineer - Global Merchant Services
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
Why American Express? Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
American Express Global Merchant Services Technology is an organization that develops and maintains Business-critical system capabilities that support the set-up, payment and operation of millions of Amex card-accepting merchants around the world. As part of this diverse global team, you will architect, code and ship software that delivers strategic solutions to meet the evolving and growing needs of the Business. Here, you can work alongside other talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. As an Engineer, you would be part of an Agile scrum team reporting to an Engineering Director.
As a Software Engineer, you’ll help to build world class software through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation). You’ll contribute to the design, development, troubleshooting, debugging, evaluation, modification, deployment, and documentation of software and systems that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications.
- Building software to expected quality and standards using distributed enterprise frameworks
- Participating in code, test & other quality reviews
- Debugging basic software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Enabling the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Automating deployments in test and production environments
- Scaling applications based on demand projections
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
We are looking for up to 4+ years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience with the following:
- Hands on Java application design, software development and automated testing (Java 8 and higher)
- Intermediate knowledge of infrastructure technologies and components - familiarity with Cloud computing
- Experience with Event-driven/Micro-services architecture for high-availability/distributed systems
- Experience using Spring Framework, Junit, GitHub, Microservices, Splunk and API’s
- Experience with Test driven development and unit testing frameworks
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as GIT and code build tools like IntelliJ, Redhat JBoss, etc., including DevOps concepts an CI/CD tools
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- University Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent experience
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com