Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
Make an impact on our business and the business world.
Want to be part of the team that delivered the first foreign payment network in China and has won several awards for innovation? If so, read on!
American Express has embarked on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic team. This is a great opportunity to join the Global Network Services Technology (GNST) team where we are partnering with the Network Services Operations (NSO) team to deliver an exciting Global Payment Network that has been designed and built from scratch to run in our private cloud, using nothing but the latest and best tech stack available in the industry.
In this position, you will be responsible for the engineering excellence and execution effectiveness, leading a team of self-starters to develop and implement innovative technology solutions in support of the American Express NSO business group. As an Engineering Director, you will be responsible for our Mission Critical/High Availability Distributed Authorisations platform, and will provide thought leadership, engineering expertise and direction to the software product delivery team primarily in the UK. The successful candidate will have a deep technical understanding, a software development and design background, experience of software engineering in a cloud native environment, be versatile and be able to collaborate with business stakeholders, product teams and cross functional technology groups to drive continuous delivery.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead a large Agile engineering team in an environment which includes backend tech stack and frameworks, continuous delivery pipeline in a cloud native environment
- Ensure alignment of strategy, architecture, tools/methods with software engineers and architects to execute product roadmap
- Work with the Principal Architect, Staff Architects, Staff Engineers and Senior Software Engineers to create, improve and review system architecture and designs
- Hands on coding as it relates to the development of proof of concepts and implementing strategic features and functionality
- Supply technical leadership and apply best practices to further our technology solutions within the payments industry domain
- Collaborate and partner effectively with a variety of stakeholders, included Technology and product teams to drive change required to execute product roadmaps
- Enable integrated teams to deliver technology solutions in support of key product initiatives by working closely with product managers, technical project managers, architects, engineers, and quality assurance
- Coach, guide and promote creation of high quality, clearly documented, and compliant deliverables across engineering teams
- Create an engaging and inclusive team culture where colleagues feel empowered to deliver at their best
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Information Systems degree, or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in Java technologies in order to add technical value to the teams and perform code reviews
- Hands-on technical experience in software development
- Proven experience attracting, hiring and retaining top engineering talent
- Experience developing scalable, high performance backend applications using a variety of technologies, with expertise in Enterprise Java (including advanced design pattern & common libraries) and cloud native technologies (microservices, containerised delivery, distributed cache, configuration and logging, observability tools, performance tools and NoSQL databases)
- Thought leadership, combining technical skills with business strategy
- Ability to lead financial plans through strong analytical skills, problem identification and resolution, and delivery of business value
- Strong communication and relationship building skills, with proven track record influencing and driving delivery across multiple partners. Comfortable managing constructive debate, and willingness to challenge the status quo
- Strong focus on customers and clients with a history of exceeding customers’ expectations
- Experience in the card payment network domain is a plus
We place great importance on doing what is right, what is best and what is innovative. And we continue seeking people to champion these values and beliefs as we grow. The world is a big place, filled with big ideas and amazing people. And we want the best of them here at American Express. We’re interested in where you came from, but we’re even more excited about where you will go with American Express.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org