Vice President, Audit Leader
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together.
American Express’ Internal Audit Group (IAG) has reinvented our audit process and is leading the financial services industry with our Audit NextGen, Data-Driven Continuous Auditing, and Auditor of the Future initiatives. Each uniquely support our Winning Aspiration to be a world class internal audit function that:
- Provides data-driven and technology-enabled assurance
- Delivers timely risk insights that are business-aware and forward-looking
- Supports our colleagues with experiences that prepare them to be enterprise leaders
Collectively, IAG’s strategic initiatives, combined with our greatest asset – our people – enable IAG to utilize advanced data analysis capabilities, provide greater and continuous assurance, and help ensure quality products and services are provided to American Express customers.
IAG’s innovative Data-Driven Continuous Auditing approach has led to patent-pending technology assets over our uniquely developed audit methodology and technology enablers.
We are looking for those who share our mission and aspirations and are passionate about the use of data and technology in a collaborative, people-focused environment.
Where is this role located
This role is based in the UK (London or Brighton) and will be supporting the Global Head for Financial Crime and Privacy Audit who is on the Internal Audit Leadership Team. This is a senior role in the department and will be responsible for providing global leadership in IAG and American Express more broadly.
IAG is a worldwide function with 250+ team members and offices across nine countries. Our assurance and risk professionals have a diverse group of backgrounds including internal controls, consumer compliance, technology, operational risk, financial accounting, data analytics, and banking operations. Most IAG team members hold at least one professional certification. Our audit teams align to key risk areas and business units to ensure IAG can provide comprehensive and risk-based audit coverage. In addition, IAG has a Professional Practices group responsible for managing audit operations, quality, and standards; regulatory relations; reporting; training and professional development; and key internal capabilities and technologies.
- Develop and own the American Express IAG Privacy audit Coverage Strategy.
- Own the Audit Committee opinion for Privacy Risk across IAG through effective oversight of the Privacy Portfolio.
- Develop and maintain collaborative senior stakeholder relationships across the enterprise to perform effective business monitoring.
- Execute and oversee a portfolio of Privacy and Financial Crime audits and issues validations ensuring adequate workpaper quality and effective stakeholder challenge or escalation where necessary.
- Effectively coach, teach, mentor and develop an international team of colleagues and co-sourced resources in geographically diverse locations across all aspects of their role, the audit and analytic lifecycle, and audit methodology.
- Maintain the team's resource calendar, training program and recruiting pipeline, and execute the screening and selection process.
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Financial services industry experience and an understanding of related products, services, features, economics and key regulations
- Understanding of regulatory, accounting, and financial industry best practices relevant to the business, including technology and data implications
- Experience and understanding of privacy risk – in particular, the core tenants of an effective privacy framework as well as expected key controls
- BA, BS, or equivalent degree in accounting or finance related field; background in Compliance would be a plus
- Ability to break-down a complex problem into components, process knowledge and risk/control knowledge, and communicate issues and control recommendations with transparency, integrity and impact
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that deliver quality, actionable and beneficial feedback to management on potential control issues and solutions to close gaps
- Knowledge and experience in the application of control theory and professional auditing practices including the audit lifecycle
- Effectively works independently, within a team and across teams in a fast-paced environment to drive business results, utilizing related project management skills, employing creative thinking, and the ability to work on competing priorities
- Proven ability to lead and manage multiple projects and provide developmental feedback across deliverables
- Proven ability lead team members in a way that encourages, develops, and delivers results
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.