Senior Engineer - API Gateways
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
American Express is entering a technology transformation phase driven by opportunities to modernize legacy platforms and explore modern software to be on the leading edge of payment card industry. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, with deep hands on experience and strategic thinking, in areas of real time, high available and highly scalable application development, join our Enterprise Architecture (EA) team to help transform the Amex legacy systems to a state of the art distributed and global processing environment.
EA as an organization aims to set the bar for technology at American Express. The two main drivers of EA’s success are its frameworks (common services to be leveraged by engineering teams across the enterprise) and its Major Engagements (high priority, business critical projects which need architectural guidance and support).
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to architect cutting-edge strategies for the payment process using latest computing techniques driving proof of concepts with strong hands-on experience. Our Engineers are innovative and energetic with strong communication skills to adopt the concepts into production.
- Maintain & develop new API frameworks in technologies such as REST and gRPC
- Ensure the site reliability of frameworks to 5 – 9’s
- Help pivot toward serverless, FaaS based architectures
- Build & manage platforms to help teams across the company quickly deploy A2A services
- Evangelize the API engineering transformation at an accelerated pace
- Collaborate with technology peers and leaders to gain strategic alignment
- Foster innovation and experimentation
- Responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning
- Create a bridge between development and operations by applying a software engineering mindset to system administration topics
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- University degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Significant engineering experience, with emphasis on managing high volume and highly scalable systems
- Knowledge of automation process to bring in a high reliable and zero downtime platform
- Capability to manage environment provisioning and DevOps pipeline setup
- A firm understanding of networking principles: DNS, TCP, TLS, HTTP 2
- Experience developing architecture and E2E solutions that conform to requirements for privacy, security and compliance
- The ability to look at code and derive time and space complexity
- Deep experience with multiple open source solutions
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com