Senior Java Engineer
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let’s lead the way together.
American Express Global Network Platform authorizes and processes millions of payment transactions every day. The Card Network platform is the critical backbone for all of American Express payment transactions and is a real time low latency system that is always available and highly resilient, processing transactions from around the world 24x7, 365 days a year. Connected to the core network, there’s a number of key customer facing systems that power the American Express brand for key spending channels such as mobile payments and e-commerce. We develop and deliver functionalities for both the core and the customer facing systems and are looking for engineers to be part of our high-skilled team.
As a Senior Engineer, you will help lead a scrum team technically, building core features and functions of the payment network platform deployed in a private Kubernetes-based cloud.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Design and coding of user stories for distributed, scalable, high performant and systems using Java
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Contribute to the deployment, support and monitoring of software across test, integration and production environments
- Collaborate with peer technology and development teams across different locations
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Help architect new solutions and services
- 5+ years of experience in Java development and building large scale distributed applications
- Hands-on expertise with Java v11+ application design, security architectures and test automation
- Experience delivering software as part of an agile team and familiar with the processes and ceremonies
- Perform ongoing refactoring of code, quality assurance and testing, applying best practice methodologies and processes
- Hands-on experience with Spring Boot, Micro-services, Kafka, Relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Has a drive to learn industry leading innovative technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential
- Experience with automated release management using Gradle, Maven, Git, Jenkins
- Function as a member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development and test practices with respect to tools, common components, and documentation
- Open to innovation and experimentation, engage in fun and outcome-oriented culture, and ready to try new concepts without fear of failure
- Team-oriented and a core contributor, enabling the team to be more effective and productive
- Medium to advanced technical skills in the areas of microservices, REST APIs using Java 11 or higher
- Perform code reviews, make design decisions, and ensure constant focus on quality and clearing technical debt items in the backlog
- Build and maintain CICD pipelines for continuous integration and delivery
- University Degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience
- Good leadership and communication skills to influence both technical and non-technical teams at all levels across functions
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org