Data Engineer – Software
Job Type: Full time
Close date: 7th Oct 2022
Competitive salary and benefits
Build a long-term career by unlocking opportunities for lifelong learning
Build unrivalled capabilities in a place that promotes learning agility and offers development opportunities. We never stand still so you’ll have the chance to constantly grow your abilities, skills, and knowledge. Are you looking to progress your career in Engineering, Data and AI? If so, come and join our team where you will play a pivotal role in this exciting period of development!
Our Enterprise Data and AI Services department at AstraZeneca is looking for a skilled and enthusiastic Data Engineer who is keen to join a growing data privacy engineering services team and further develop their technical abilities.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Data Engineer in the Data Protection Team, you will join a diverse team of talented engineers responsible for the implementation of data engineering services that connect to data sources, perform minimisation on data sets and govern the data masking rules used. This role is a great opportunity for software engineers looking into moving to data engineering.
In your role, you will design, develop, implement, and maintain custom software to empower end-users and other Data Engineers to perform automated data masking of personal data at scale. You'll learn and apply your knowledge of data protection and of our technology stack to protect sensitive data, making our services widely available across the Enterprise.
You are a competent software developer that can look at existing code and take it to the next level, as well as develop from the ground up. You will own, maintain, and improve an existing self-service data masking web application (Developed in NodeJS/React) and your time will be split between coding and implementing and running Data Engineering pipelines in our AWS cloud environment. You will:
- Work in a successful DevOps environment
- Collaborate with colleagues across IT and within Business Data teams to understand specific project requirements and provide tailored, complete solutions that fit their needs
- Engage with vendors to ensure you are extracting the best value from the technology
- Take part in Agile ceremonies to estimate requirements and deliver tailored, complete solutions in a way that is operationally stable and sustainable. In our Platforms, if you build or implement it you run it.
- Coordinate organisational change activities to ensure no loss of service
- Commit to continuing your technical development
- Follow standard methodologies and best practices when deploying specific code or configuration, reducing rework, continually looking for optimisation
- Advocate and advance modern, agile development practices and evangelize great engineering culture
Highlight the skills and capabilities needed
In this role you will be considered an aspiring top-tier engineer, who loves to understand your customers, collaborates cross-culturally with global teams, and will be trusted to produce solutions, fix technical issues, and continually challenge the status quo.
You must be familiar and can demonstrate solid hands-on skills with:
- Software Development and CI/CD pipelines (NodeJS/React/Python/Git/Jenkins)
- AWS Cloud services: IAM, S3, Lambda, EMR, DynamoDB, RDS, EC2 or Azure/GCP equivalents
- REST APIs, ETL pipelines
- Structured file ingestion and conversion (CSV, JSON, XML, Parquet)
- SQL and NoSQL Databases
You should apply if:
- You have significant Data or Software Engineering experience - particularly if you have worked with privacy enhancing technologies (e.g. Privitar)
- You have delivered novel engineering services, prioritising technologies and worked collaboratively with other engineering teams
- You are technically competent and curious, with a passion to explore, fail and learn iteratively.
- You can demonstrate partner management skills – balancing business needs, governance requirements and operational delivery
- You can demonstrate a solid understanding of key processes and techniques in the engineering delivery cycle (including Agile and DevOps), Machine Learning, Containers, APIs, Microservices and Data Pipelines.
- You understand the importance of service and sustainability and are comfortable to have trade-off conversations around technical debt and service models.
- You have previous experience working in a matrix structure
- You appreciate the importance and principles of Data Management: Governance, Architecture, Modelling and Design, Integration and Operations, Reference and Master Data (RDM, MDM), Data Warehousing and BI.
ABOUT OUR TEAM
The Data Engineering Services Team develops, deploys, and manages a wide range of services to departments across the Enterprise. We work with colleagues from Science who are busy discovering new molecular entities; from Procurement who are sourcing materials from all over the world; from Finance who are making important budgeting decisions; From HR who are supporting, growing and retaining our talent.
All these activities generate a vast and growing amount of data – including personal data. We recognise both the potential in our data and the need to use personal data responsibly. Key to success is our ability to minimise and de-identify personal data where needed using advanced technology and best practices.
In the team we are passionate about using industry best practices, ensuring accurate code coverage, participating in peer code reviews, and supporting and troubleshooting existing tools. A desire to learn and develop is part of our culture, where we work in an agile and fast-paced environment.
AstraZeneca is a world-renowned Pharmaceuticals company that develops and manufactures therapeutic treatments to prevent, cure or alleviate human diseases. We are serious about leveraging data and emerging technologies to push the boundaries of science even further, and continually improve every step along our complex value chain. Joining our inclusive and diverse team would offer you a great opportunity to take your career to the next level and beyond.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.