Head of Commercial Information Architecture
Location: Cheshire East, Luton, Wilmington, Delaware
Job Type: Full time
Head of Commercial Information Architecture
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Information Architecture? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
ABOUT OUR DATA SCIENCE & ENGINEERING TEAM
A place to do important work. We connect across the whole business to power each function to better influence patient outcomes and improve their lives. Impactful and valuable, this is where you come to raise your profile
and do good for others. Play an increasingly crucial role in driving disruptive transformation on our journey to becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Unleash the power of our latest innovations in data, machine learning and technology to turn complex information into life-changing and practical insights. Work in synergy with leading experts in our specialist communities. Here we bring the brightest minds to bear, with access to cutting-edge techniques and the opportunity to be part of novel solutions. It’s up to us to drive the outcomes forward, inventing and building, expanding our knowledge to identify the next opportunity. An inclusive team, we bring together diverse areas – different functions as well as external partners. Pooling from an unrivalled source of knowledge, we share, learn and challenge. It powers us to decode business needs and apply our technical know-how to add greater value. Rise to the challenge of shaping the future of an evolving business in the technology space.
ABOUT THE ROLE?
Enterprise Data & AI Services (ED&AIS) is a new central IT function accountable for enterprise strategy and standards in Data and AI engineering, enabling services, enterprise and business information and data architecture as well as the delivery of data provisioning services and AI product delivery for the enterprise. The organization works closely with Data & AI delivery teams across Business Technology Group (BTG – Business Unit) IT teams and data governance teams from LoB (Line of Business) Data offices, supporting the build of the AstraZeneca data products, including Data Mesh, analytical solutions and with a view to enterprise information architectures and thinking.
Key organizational accountabilities include:
- Identifying and delivery of effective, easy to use Data & AI services such as Cataloguing, Privacy, Unification, Profiling, Data Quality, Engineering Orchestration, AI Ops, Model Registries and more.
- Ensuring, through Information Architecture processes and working, that the resultant data products are FAIR by design or born FAIR and that they enable effective re-use.
- Functional data provision and data product delivery to LoB and CFIT (Customer Facing Information Technology) teams to functional and global standards and policies ensuring compliant and secure data assets (working with LoB Data Offices).
- Leading the delivery of advanced AI products in NLP, Computer Vision, Recommendation Engines and Predictive Modelling, supporting CFIT and LoB teams in tech solution selection, product build and the run of business-critical AI solutions
- Leading the strategy of and innovation in Data & AI technology for the enterprise, working closely with Enterprise Architecture and Tech Innovation teams
The new role of Head of Commercial Information Architecture will lead the design and governance of information models and architectures, master data, transformation rules, metadata, and data lineage for our global Commercial function. You will lead the information and data architecture development of both operational/transactional and analytical systems, minimizing the number of data transformations across the estate and assuring architectural and metadata development to appropriate standards and guidelines. As part of the role, you will also support and lead the design of reference and master data management solutions, both at domain and enterprise level, leading business case analysis and development. You will also oversee data analysis and appropriate data modelling activities, focused on profiling and understanding data to support Information Architecture activities and engineering (software specialist) implementation. You will support the growth of, and lead, an initial team of up to five Information Architects to support the Commercial IT portfolio. This will include chairing the appropriate Commercial IT Information Architecture Review forum for approval of all new architectures and designs.
You will work closely with Enterprise/Solution Architects and their teams to ensure solution architectures are built with data centric mind set, integrating Information Architecture designs into blueprints, enabling data re-use and supporting lean data designs. You will also work closely with the Commercial Data Office partnering on data standards, ontologies, taxonomy, and model designs within our Information Governance policies and standards, tailored to support business outcomes.
- Establish and lead the Information Architecture and Data Analysis capabilities for Commercial IT.
- Reporting to the Head of Enterprise Information Architecture, you will be an active member of the Enterprise Information Architecture Practice Leadership Team, supporting our practice and our team; developing our ways of working; working to ensure an integrated approach to information architecture across AstraZeneca
- Assist with leadership of, support, enable and grow our Enterprise Information Architecture Practice and develop our people
- Support the delivery of the Commercial IT portfolio through the provision of integrated Information Architecture services and design across solutions, including:
- Data flow design across the enterprise from System of Record to Analytics applications
- Data structure types, and information model design, needed for a solution such as raw, conform, and consumption data layers
- Project level oversight of Data Models, Metadata, Linage, Taxonomies and Ontologies
- Data transformation design between systems/models, including business rule design and management
- Design of metadata describing data assets (catalogued)
- Master and Reference data design within and across systems/enterprise.
- Alignment with AstraZeneca’s Information Governance regulations and frameworks
- Development and enforcement of standard enterprise data element names, abbreviations, characteristics, and domains during the lifecycle of a project
- Chair the appropriate Commercial IT Information Architecture Review forum, enabling the alignment and governance of all Information Architecture designs. Ensure all IA designs and solutions adhere to current regulations, policies and standards and are aligned with any agreed Enterprise Strategies.
- Be an active member of the leadership teams to which you contribute, integrating IA with wider technical and process architectures and data / AI engineering delivery
- Be an active member of appropriate business data governance councils, ensuring ongoing information architecture is fit for Commercial use
- Support the development and embedding of the IA capability and operating model: resource forecasting, skills, tooling, processes, communication, stakeholder management, governance and standards (for example)
- Evangelise what Enterprise Information Architecture is and the value and impact of good data architectural design and governance to both IT and Commercial teams: Develop clear, tailored communication and training plans.
- Maintain on-going professional development in leading enterprise information architectural practice and innovation.
- Establish strong working relationship with AstraZeneca’s global Commercial groups to develop an in-depth understanding of business priorities, data requirements and use as well as early insight into changing needs.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED?
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent number of years of experience in a Computer Science or Data Management related field
- Extensive experience and knowledge within domain
- Able to influence and deliver strategic vision, direction and planning effectively
- The role holder will possess a blend of information and data architecture, analysis, and engineering skills, able to bring experiences of such work to support and enable our real-world deliveries
- Experience in known industry architectural patterns
- Significant experience of people management, coaching, and career development of high-performing individuals and teams
- Understands cloud-based containerization strategies for hybrid cloud environments
- Understanding the appropriate data structure and technology based on business use case
- Experience in the use of data modeling technologies
- Experience in Agile data definition scrums
- Experience in the use of metadata cataloguing tools
- Post-graduate degree in MIS, Data Management or equivalent domain
- Significant IT architectural methods and methodology insights and experience
- Extensive experience in a senior information/data architecture role with practical examples of designing and providing end-to-end and point data architecture designs or blueprints that have been delivered and implemented for substantial real world use cases
- Experience of Information and Data Governance frameworks and their application in a commercial organisation
- Understanding of typical commercial operations, processes and data, ideally in a pharmaceutical setting.
WHY JOIN IT?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into exploring new leading-edge technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate, and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to add value in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Open Date: 31/8/2022
Close Date: 30/9/2022
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.