Translational Bioinformatics Scientist
Location: Cambridgeshire, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Job Title: Translational Bioinformatics Scientist
Location: Barcelona(Spain), Gothenburg (Sweden), Cambridge (UK), Gaithersburg (USA), Mississagua (Canada)
The Centre For Artificial Intelligence is a lab focused on applying machine learning research to the toughest challenges at AstraZeneca. We are a team of experts from different disciplines including Machine Intelligence, Data Science, Real World Evidence and Bioinformatics. We innovate together with our leading biologists, chemists, and clinicians to close the gap between today's challenges and the forefront of machine learning. If you want to have an impact on transforming patients' lives by accelerating new medicines to patients, this may be the position for you!
We are looking for an Associate Director, Bioinformatics Scientist to join our translational Bioinformatics team.
What you’ll do
In this role you will be responsible for advancing scientific knowledge through the use and development of innovative bioinformatics tools and approaches, and applying that knowledge to drug discovery and development programs. This scientifically passionate individual will apply their experience in the mining, integration and analysis of multi -omics data sets including genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics, using bioinformatics and system biology approaches to advance our understanding of biological pathways, networks, and genetic interactions.
This role will have the opportunity to interact extensively with other teams across the organization and apply cutting edge solutions including knowledge graphs and machine learning to derive insights from the large and unique clinical data sets available to AstraZeneca.
- Work efficiently in an established team of bioinformaticians to deliver projects using innovative methods.
- Contribute ideas and provide creative input to projects across multiple disease areas including respiratory, immunology, cardiovascular, renal, metabolism and neuroscience.
- Remain at the cutting edge of bioinformatics.
Essential for the role
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Systems Biology or similar field with 3-5 years of experience of bioinformatics in life sciences or pharmaceutical sectors.
- Proficiency in common programming/scripting languages (e.g. SQL, R, Python, Perl, JAVA) and their application in biomedical research.
- First-hand experience in the analysis and interpretation of large, complex datasets. Familiarity with multiple R&D data types, especially as they relate to therapeutic area research.
Desirable for the role
- Demonstrated successful experience working on complex, cross-functional project teams..
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Deep understanding of drug development and clinical trial process and data (all phases).
AstraZeneca is a leading company in the healthcare industry, with a mission to enrich the lives of others. It’s our business to support healthy living, not only for our patients, but also for our employees. Our benefits program is flexible enough to meet employees’ varying needs, offers valuable choices, and is highly competitive.
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
So, what’s next!
If your passion is science and you want to be part of a team that makes a bigger impact on patients’ lives, then there’s no better place to be. Here we truly understand science and apply it every day to strengthen and grow our pipeline.
Inclusion & Diversity at AstraZeneca: https://careers.astrazeneca.com/inclusion-diversity
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.