User Experience (UX) Designer
Location: Cheshire East
Job Type: Full time
User Experience (UX) Designer
Do you have expertise in, and passion for UX Design? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
About our it team
Here our work has a direct impact on patients – redefining our ability to develop life-changing medicines. We empower the business to perform at its peak and lead a new way of working, combining pioneering science with leading digital technology platforms and data. All with a passion to impact lives through data, analytics, AI, machine learning and more. Join us at a crucial stage of our journey in becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Make the impossible possible by building partnerships and ecosystems, creating new ways of working
and driving scale and speed to deliver exponential growth. Focused and committed, and backed with the investment to succeed, we’re driving cross-company change to disrupt the entire industry. Ours is a place to innovate, take ownership and run with it. You’re trusted to explore and to find new solutions, experimenting with pioneering technology and grappling with challenges in a modern technology environment that might never have been taken on before. It’s a dynamic and challenging environment to work in – but that’s why we like it. There are countless opportunities to learn and grow, whether that’s exploring new technologies in hackathons, or transforming the roles and work of colleagues, forever. Shape your own path, with support all the way. Diverse minds that work cross-functionally and inclusively together. Be part of a team that has the backing to innovate, redefine an industry and change lives.
WHY JOIN US?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into
exploring new pioneering technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate,
and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to add value in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
The mid-level UX Designer is responsible for designing products & services, from user insights, that are easy and delightful to use. These products and services will include both external (patient- and/or doctor-facing) and internal colleague-facing tools, and cover a range of platforms (devices, websites, mobile apps, etc.). We are looking for someone who has experience across the full, end-to-end UCD process, not just an ‘expert designer’.
You will work with experienced researchers and/or carry out qualitative/ quantitative user research studies (e.g. user interviews or observation) yourself. You will use the outputs of this research to inform the early design process; for example, creating personas or user journey maps.
Using the available insights, you will design the product’s high-level UX (e.g., via flows and wireframes), plus lower-level interaction designs (e.g., via interactive prototypes) which unambiguously describe the product experience. The focus is on usability, not aesthetics.
You will iteratively improve your designs based on results from usability testing (carried out by yourself or others). You will work closely with technical developers during the build process to manage compromises and ensure the best possible UX is launched.
You will find ways to measure and prove the value that your research and design interventions have made.
As well as the tactical side of UX Design and Research, the role also includes a more strategic side. You will support the Head of UX and the UX Leads in evangelizing the benefits of UX/ UCD across AZ, using a set of excellent case studies where UCD has made a measurable difference to business performance. You will help to develop new business for yourself and the wider UX team. You will also support training non-UX colleagues into UX/ UCD methods.
If you are not already an experienced user researcher, you will be supported in improving these skills.
Please note: this is not a Visual Design or ‘UI’ role; the core skills and experience required are very much ‘UX’.
- Degree-level qualification (preferably postgraduate) in Ergonomics, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design or a related relevant field
- Understanding of UX principles, both from academic learning and on-the-job experience
- Real-world experience, typically 3+ years, as a UX Practitioner in an industrial (not just academic) environment – working either in or for large, client-side companies
- Experience or practical understanding across UX Research methodologies – e.g. interviews, surveys, usability testing, field trials – and how they fit into a full UCD process. (Direct experience moderating such research is preferred but not essential).
- Experience using research insights to make design decisions, and in creating strategic design documents such as Personas, User Journey Maps and Storyboards.
- Experience creating high-level information architectures, low-level flows and wireframes, interaction designs, interactive prototypes, etc.
- Experience with UX design and interactive prototyping tools (e.g. Figma, Sketch, InVision, Axure, Adobe XD)
- Experience designing for mobile (web and apps), with up-to-date knowledge of UX/ Interaction Design patterns for iOS and Android. Also experience working across digital channels, including fixed-web and tablet too.
- Strong analytic skills; comfortable working with big, complex, numerical data
- A portfolio of case studies where good UCD has made a measurable (quantitative) difference to the quality of digital products and services
- Experience or exposure to Accessibility/ Inclusive Design – i.e. ensuring the best experience for all users, independent of their (dis)ability - would be nice to have
- Experience working with pharmaceutical/ medical products and services is not essential but would be nice to have
- Experience in Behavioural Science or Psychology is not essential but would be nice to have
Requirements (Soft Skills)
- A self-starter, not requiring handholding.
- The energy and pro-activity to develop relationships and new business opportunities for yourself and the wider UX team
- An active member of the external UX community, with an interest in sharing and keeping up with the state-of-the-art in design tools and research methods
- An excellent listener, with the ability to quickly filter the relevant user insights for design
- An excellent presenter, succinctly imparting UX designs, with appropriate rationale, in both written and spoken formats, and in plain, non-technical, language
- Great influencing skills, including the ability to evangelize UCD to stakeholders
- A great team player, able to work well as part of a small UX team and collaborate closely with Product Managers, Business Analysts, Technical Developers, etc.
- Motivated to both give and receive constructive criticism on UX designs
- Able to successfully juggle the competing demands of multiple concurrent projects within a global corporate environment.
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Open Date: 14/09/2022
Close Date: 05/10/2022
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.