Global Publication Lead - Vaccine and Immune Therapies
Location: Cambridgeshire, Wilmington, Delaware
Job Type: Full time
Global Publication Lead - Vaccine and Immune Therapies
Location: Cambridge (UK) / Gaithersburg (US) / Wilmington (US)
Competitive Salary and Excellent Employee Benefits
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. AstraZeneca is a science-led, global biopharmaceutical company, with a focused portfolio in core therapies. We are committed to improving the health and lives of people across the globe, through our broad research and development platform, and a growing late-stage pipeline. Working in over 100 countries, we have strength in emerging markets, and our medicines are used by millions of patients and clinicians worldwide.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Publications Leader has direct accountability for the development and execution of strategic publication plans for global clinical studies (Phase III onward) and non-clinical trial sources including HEOR, Epidemiology, RWE, Payer, Non-Interventional and database studies. As part of this role the Publications Leader engages and collaborates with internal colleagues and external experts, investigators, journals, conference organisers and external bodies to deliver publication and communication activities. The role also collaborates effectively with regional and country affiliates to develop and maintain integrated external scientific communications plans for regional and local healthcare professionals, payers, and patients. The Publications Leaders are further responsible for ensuring ethical compliance with AZ policy and external publication guidelines of the publications plans and deliverables, and they ensure that all publications represent transparent and fairly balanced communications that enhance the Company’s external scientific reputation.
- Lead day-to-day management of assigned publication plans, including financial forecasting and tracking, working closely with all members of key cross-functional product teams to optimise communication of R&D and Medical Evidence study results
- Lead and facilitate project kick-off meetings and ensure each project is aligned with product strategy and communications objectives as appropriate through liaison with the Medical Affairs Leaders (MALs) and other members of the cross-functional team.
- Collaborate effectively with Publication Leads in countries or regions to ensure publication activities are collected and globally aligned while still meeting local needs
- Liaise with MALs and medical colleagues in an advisory capacity to align publications strategy and plans with the scientific exchange programs led by the MALs. Consult on potential speakers and specific content as required
- Liaise with Medical Evidence Directors and Scientific Leads during the planning and execution of Real World Evidence studies
- Provide publications expertise and insight to develop effective operating models and build effective relationships with Alliance partners as required by the business needs
- Lead the development of medical and scientific lexicons as needed in close collaboration with cross-functional colleagues
- Forecast and identify resources (e.g., statistics, medical writing) for timely and efficient delivery of publication plans and activities
- Lead the AstraZeneca RFP process in conjunction with procurement to select medical communication agencies or contract freelancers
- Lead the output, compliance and budget as per contract terms for medical communication agencies or contract freelancers responsible for key publication plan deliverables
- Provide publications metrics for responsible Therapeutic Area or product to the Head of Publications and act upon publication metrics for the measurement of compliance and external reputation
- Keep up to date on external environment, with respect to publishing Compliance with all external codes and ethical standards in medical publishing
- Contribute to the development of the publications skills group, sharing standard methodologies and lead major innovation projects for the skills group when required
- Ensure all publication activities meet with AstraZeneca standards as well as transparency requirements and that all AZ internal partners are adequately involved in reviews and approvals
- Drive the adoption of new publication guidelines, standards and technologies as appropriate for product-related activities
- Bachelor Degree in the health sciences or communications field
- Demonstrated experience in medical communications gained through working in the pharmaceutical industry or a medical communications agency
- Proven project management experience
- Broad understanding of drug development process
- Proven performance, budget, and resource management skills in a global organization
- Ability to effectively lead multiple collaborators and projects to within budget
- Relevant post-graduate degree
- Experience of working globally, cross-culturally and cross-functionally
- Strong therapeutic knowledge in respiratory and immunology with confirmed ability to adapt quickly to other therapeutic specialities
- Infectious disease or vaccine experience
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
So, what’s next!
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where to find out more!
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.