Senior Solution Architect
Location: Cheshire East, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Senior Solution Architect
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Architecture? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
ABOUT THE ROLE?
The Senior Solution Architect is accountable for determining and architecting solutions that enable the desired business capabilities, delivering in alignment with AstraZeneca’s IT strategy, roadmap, principles and standards. They work with other Solution Architects in the Manufacturing domain and experience in this domain is essential.
The Senior Solution Architect ensures that AZ technical solutions are delivered to AZ defined reference architecture and technology standards, and this includes the definition of such standards where there are capability gaps. The role will ensure that common architecture decisions are implemented consistently across the business and IT.
The role will provide Information Technology architectural expertise and technical direction to system development and integration projects. The Architect will work on architectures for business solutions and will specialise in at least one architecture domain, with the aligned domain for this role being the Manufacturing domain within the Operations group.
ABOUT OUR IT ARCHITECTURE TEAM
As Architects, we connect the dots across the business to improve the agility and functionality of our processes to accelerate AstraZeneca to the next level. There’s so much potential to influence and inspire change, it’s a big challenge if you’re up for it. As champions of our Technology ecosystem, we make sure the rest of the business experiences the true benefits of our systems. Uniting diverse areas and simplifying the way we work, changing approaches and behaviours along the way – our reach goes beyond technology. It starts with a holistic view, connecting emerging trends with business ambitions and applying emotional intelligence to understand how we can guide the right way to work and behave. Across the enterprise and each technology domain we come together to find leading solutions that will provide the platform for AstraZeneca’s success. Change agents, we are always proactively hunting for new insights and problem-solving to identify better ways of doing things. Motivated by the opportunities to learn and grow, we move fast and drive forward. Lay the foundations for future technological and people-driven success across AstraZeneca.
Candidate Focus & Challenge
Senior Solution Architect for IGNITE: Operations IT (MAKE) Architecture
This role is accountable for the solution architecture and design across AstraZeneca’s Operations domains eg Manufacturing & Supply Chain with a focus on Data & Analytics capabilities.
You will be the responsible architect on projects within areas including but not limited to: Smart Factory, Digital Uplift, Digital Transformation and Lifecycle Refresh Programmes. You will be required to analyse, conceptualise, design and govern across AstraZeneca’s strategic IT landscape to in order to support business projects.
- Accountable for architecting and designing comprehensive solutions that meet business requirements and are aligned to AstraZeneca’s Enterprise Architecture, in support of a given portfolio
- Design architectures and delivers documentation for projects or solutions in order to address business/application/data/infrastructure requirements
- Ensure that solution architectures and designs are appropriately robust and address business, application, information and infrastructure architectural requirements
- Ensure analysis and design is documented in supporting Architectural Artefacts ie Solution Blueprint and seeks Architecture Review Board Signoff.
- Work with Business Analysis and Solution Engineering functions to support functional & technical requirements management, including providing senior architecture support in key processes including technology acquisition
- Partner with project managers, business analysts, and solution engineers to create solutions that are aligned to AstraZeneca architecture standards and principles, leverage common solutions and services, and meet the financial targets (cost and benefits)
- Support the Enterprise Architect in defining technology roadmaps.
- Within the solution development lifecycle, the role will be accountable for solution evaluation and selection, buy vs. build decisions, and early-phase project estimates which contribute to a given case
- Provide technical & IT expertise support to project teams and conducts AZ architectural reviews throughout project lifecycle
- Ensure compliance with existing EA guidelines and standards (e.g. AZ Architecture Engagement Process (ISPMM) and EA Software Standards)
- Contribute to project and service teams in the development, implementation and maintenance of standard architectural components
- Work with third party suppliers as required and contributes to the creation of functional design documents
- Work with third party suppliers to verify technical development and delivery are in alignment with the Architecture Roadmap
- Contribute to the development of the Architecture Capability by documenting and sharing knowledge and standard methodologies with peer Architects
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED?
- Proven experience of application solution architecture and design experience, with proven capability in data & analytics, AI/ML application architecture and exposure to working in an operations domain, i.e.; manufacturing, supply chain etc.
- Relevant technical degree or equivalent
- Proven skills and experience being the solution architect on projects and programmes
- Experience of Operations domains and processes
- Technologies: Relational, Column Store Databases, Big Data technologies, data streaming, real-time inference, Front end tooling PowerBI, QlikSense, Data Science Tooling - SageMaker and other similar platforms, manufacturing system technologies including MES, Historian, OPC
- Proven development/design experience in at least one technical domain
- Experience of developing innovative solutions, blueprints and standards for solution design
- Experience implementing and maintaining business solution architectures under any formal framework for their domain of architecture
- Experience of developing and managing relationships with 3rd party suppliers
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication, facilitation and relationship management skills
- Strong networking skills with good internal/external links
- Ability to interpret and communicate technical information into business language
- Evidence of shaping innovative solutions that have a major impact within the business area and organisation
- Excellent business acumen and strong knowledge of procurement business processes
- Demonstrated initiative, strong customer orientation, and cross-cultural working
- Experience working in a global organization where partners and project team members are geographically dispersed
- Ability to travel to AstraZeneca’s global Operations sites
- Ability to work well in diverse, multinational teams and proven ability to influence others to achieve positive outcomes
WHY JOIN IT?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into exploring new groundbreaking technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate, and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to contribute in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Close Date: 5/2/2023
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.