Senior Director, Transactions - Oncology R&D
Job Type: Full time
Senior Director, Transactions - Oncology R&D
Location: Cambridge, UK
Do you want to be at the cutting edge of innovation that will lead to a cure for cancer? At AstraZeneca, our team is working to make this a reality by bringing together our world-leading oncology pipeline with emerging innovations and technologies
We are seeking a scientifically minded leader who is passionate about innovation in Oncology to join AstraZeneca’s Oncology R&D Transactions team. AstraZeneca has grown to be a leader in Oncology through bold decisions in both our internal pipeline as well as business development. We aim to expand our leadership by leveraging external innovation and building strong scientific networks.
The Senior Director, Transactions, Oncology R&D, is a role in the Strategy, Business Development & Alliances organization at AstraZeneca, where this person supports global business development and transactions and has a direct impact on the success of the Oncology R&D strategy and portfolio.
The Transactions team is responsible for all aspects of transaction, including definition of deal structure, term-sheets, financial analysis, deal execution and communication. By effectively structuring, presenting and executing deals, this person will enable enterprise investment in growth and innovation to ensure that Oncology R&D science, capabilities and project portfolio are fit for future challenges and opportunities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for future success of Oncology R&D by enriching the product pipeline and technology capabilities through external innovation from discovery to Phase 2 development (later stage opportunities or those capable of accelerated approval in Phase 1/2 would be handled by BDO from a Transactional perspective)
- Be a member of the Transactions Team, reporting to the Executive Director, Transactions.
- Lead, coordinate and execute transactional activities, including: in licensing, out licensing, acquisition or divestment of assets, collaborations, clinical combination deals, partnerships and alliances.
- Manage, as appropriate, the deal negotiation and closure
- Partner with the Oncology Search & Evaluation teams, commercial teams and other partners to ensure that all activities of growth through collaborations, licensing, partnership and divestiture/out-licensing are aligned with Oncology’s disease and science area strategies
- Ensure effective transition to alliance management of post-deal matters
- Contribute to the development of BD partnering strategy that supports the Oncology R&D Strategy
- Collaborate with the deal Search & Evaluation lead in the preparing and communicating the transactional aspects of deal propositions to relevant senior governance bodies
- Prepare activity and achievement reports for senior management
- Build a deep external network with biotech, venture and peer pharma network and ensure presence, exposure and positive relationship building across the innovation ecosystem
- Meaningfully contribute to BD team mission for AZ to be regarded as partner of choice
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 5-10 years in life sciences industry
- Strong oncology deal and significant transaction leadership experience across multiple technology areas, including successful closure of multiple significant license or collaboration transactions as transaction lead.
- Extensive background in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Broad knowledge of oncology disease areas, drug development activities and commercial processes within AZ. Strong intellectual capabilities; likely to hold a postgraduate qualification.
- Excellent ability to establish and act on priorities and to take the overall interests of AZ into account when making decisions.
- Excellent negotiation skills on behalf of AZ
- Ability to contribute to and fully understand the complex architecture of contracts, scientific and financial evaluations.
- An excellent communicator with experience of interacting effectively across multi disciplines internally and with extensive experience of interacting effectively with third parties including senior representatives of peer companies.
- Capable of representing AZ at external partnering events. Comfortable with interactions with Banks, VC companies and other relevant third parties.
- Capable of making effective decisions, acting courageously and communicating with conviction and inspiration at all levels.
- Advance degree in relevant field
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There is no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
So, what’s next?
A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration – we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take calculated risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline.
If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and passionate about the possibilities, then we are keen to hear from you!
Competitive salary and benefits package available.
The successful candidate will have access to a flexible employee benefits fund, including holiday purchase and flexible time off, pension contributions, Share Save Plans, A performance recognition scheme and a competitive, generous remuneration package.
Where can I find out more
Connect with our recruiter / talent scout on LinkedIn for a confidential discussion: Sam Hunter https://www.linkedin.com/in/samhunter1/
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.