Principal AI Scientist
Location: Cheshire East, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
PRINCIPAL AI SCIENTIST
Macclesfield, Sodertalje, Gothenburg, Gaithersburg, Chennai
ABOUT THE OPERATIONS IT TEAM
Operations IT is a global IT capability supporting the Global Operations organisation. We business partner with Operations capability areas: Pharmaceutical Technology Development, Manufacturing & Global Engineering, Quality Control, Sustainability, Supply Chain, Logistics and Global External Sourcing and Procurement. We operate out of Operations hubs sites including in the UK, Sweden, US, and China; and out of our Global Technology Centres in India and Mexico.
Here our work has a direct impact on patients – transforming our ability to develop life-changing medicines. We empower the business to perform at its peak and lead a new way of working, combining pioneering science with leading digital technology platforms and data. All with a passion to impact lives through data, analytics, AI, machine learning and more.
It’s a dynamic and challenging environment to work in – but that’s why we like it. There are countless opportunities to learn and grow, whether that’s exploring new technologies in hackathons, or transforming the roles and work of colleagues, forever. This is your chance to be part of a team that has the backing to innovate, disrupt an industry and change lives.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are recruiting a Principle AI Scientist to join our newly established Data, Analytics & AI group for Operations IT spanning various business areas such as Develop, Manufacture, Supply Chain, Quality and Procurement.
As a Principle AI Scientist, you will direct the application of sophisticated quantitative expertise in advanced mathematical fields to develop innovative data science solutions. The role will drive the application of foundational and ground breaking techniques to manipulate, and process structured and unstructured data, in combination with business domain knowledge, to develop and apply advanced modelling algorithms (e.g., classification, regression, clustering, NLP, image analysis, graph theory and more) to generate business insights.
You will provide coaching, and support to other AI Scientists promoting standard methodology across multiple domains, and/or partner groups.
YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE
- Bachelors Degree (or equivalent numbers of years of experience) in operations research mathematics, computer science, engineering, physics, statistics, economics, computational sciences or a related quantitative field.
- Demonstrated experience with modern data science approaches, including unsupervised and supervised classification and regression algorithms such as k-means clustering, support vector machines, random forests, neural networks and deep learning. May also have expertise in advanced statistical modelling, or broader aspects of applied mathematics such as dynamical systems or optimisation.
- Proven experience in the modelling of sophisticated datasets in applied business and/or scientific application domains
- Advanced knowledge and proven experience with the standard data science languages: R and Python (Python preferred) and familiarity with database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, graph).
- Understanding and familiarity with software development principles.
- Experience of manipulating and analysing large high dimensionality unstructured datasets, drawing conclusions, defining recommended actions, and reporting results across partners.
- Understanding of algorithm design, development, optimization, scaling and applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, business analysis, and consultancy skills.
- Good understanding of at least one business area where the data science is applied.
WHY JOIN US
Here our work has a direct impact on patients – transforming our ability to develop life-changing
medicines. We empower the business to perform at its peak and lead a new way of working,
combining ground breaking science with leading digital technology platforms and data. All with
a passion to impact lives through data, analytics, AI, machine learning and more.
Join us at a crucial stage of our journey in becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Make
the impossible possible by building partnerships and ecosystems, creating new ways of working
and driving scale and speed to deliver exponential growth. Focused and committed, and backed
with the investment to succeed, we’re driving cross-company change to disrupt the entire industry.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
SO, WHAT NEXT?
If you’re interested in applying, we encourage you to apply using your completed Workday profile where possible.
Close Date: 11/ 12 / 2022
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.