Director, Global Corporate and Internal Communications, Oncology
Location: Cambridgeshire, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Do you have a passion for people, for science and the communications and management skills to design, develop and implement employee engagement strategies for a science-led biopharmaceutical company? Can you conceive, organize and run effective internal & external communications programs to help deliver one of the industry’s most exciting oncology portfolios?
AstraZeneca is leading a revolution in oncology to redefine cancer care. We have a bold ambition to provide cures for cancer in every form. We are looking for a passionate and experienced Communications Director to support Oncology. You will lead on the internal communications strategy and execution for Tier-1 congresses, ensuring both in-person and virtual employees have an optimal experience and are inspired by the company’s vision and the breadth and depth of our portfolio.
You'll also lead and partner with the broader Corporate and Internal Communications team and other corporate affairs colleagues to coordinate relevant reputation-enhancing content for the global editorial calendar, including awareness days and milestones.
You'll need to be a strategic problem solver, with a talent to develop project plans and execute communications optimally. Expert-level organization and time management skills are key to supporting numerous projects, deliver in a fast-paced environment, coordinate with multiple functions and/or regions and successfully partner with internal clients and leaders.
You will be a core member of the Oncology Corporate and Internal Communications team while collaborating with other teams across AstraZeneca, including the Oncology R&D Communications team, Oncology Product Communications team and the AZ Global Internal Communications team.
- Lead on the internal communications strategy and execution for all Tier 1 Oncology congresses
- Own and support, where needed, the development and amplification of key oncology-related awareness days, such as World Cancer Day
- Maximise engagement of content via a variety of channels
- Champion the use of Workplace (internal social media platform) and coach Oncology colleagues on using it effectively
- Collaborates with other AZ Communication Leads to ensure integration and alignment with strategic direction, corporate narrative, and internal and external CA campaign and editorial planning processes
- Leads the communication planning, development and delivery for flagship events.
- Leads and champions use of relevant communication channels - such as Workplace, leadership e-mail, and Nucleus - across the function; ensures adoption across organisation and implements measurement strategies in order to drive effectiveness and behavior change
- Ensures communications are continuous, consistent and distributed through appropriate channels, working with all corporate affairs partners and third-party agencies as required
Minimum Requirements – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, marketing or related field
- 7-10 years + communications experience
- Established track record of delivering impactful, content rich communications programmes across multiple channels and stakeholders with demonstrable measures of success
- Substantial experience in internal communications
- Understanding of and ability to translate science
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong social and digital skills and knowledge of technology options
- Team worker with high level of personal accountability
- Able to develop and maintain networks across business and cultural boundaries
- Experience of working in large scale multi-national companies
- Experience of driving transformational change communications and working cross-functionally
- Advanced internal communications skills (including management of new digital/video tools and copywriting)
- Good understanding of all aspects of the pharmaceutical industry
- Communications agency management
- Ability to coach and influence senior leaders on their communication effectiveness
- Ability to set and manage priorities, resources, goals, and project initiatives
- First-rate coordination, collaboration, organization and multi-tasking skills
- Project management skills
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us while we continue to build a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we are developing new ways to work, ground breaking methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our team!
Next Steps – Apply Today!
Curious to know more? Then please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well-qualified for this opportunity. Know someone who would be an excellent fit? Please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.