Global Product Teams, Finance Manager
Location: Cambridgeshire, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Global Product Teams, Finance Manager
Location: Cambridge UK, Gaithersburg US, Gothenburg Sweden,
Competitive salary and benefits apply
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we believe in the potential of our people and you’ll develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve no matter where you start with us. The only one who can put limits on the scope of your career is you. With the right skills and passion we'll help you explore what AstraZeneca has to offer.
About Projects & Portfolio Finance
The Project Finance team is a dynamic team focused on supporting the Global Product Teams and senior governing bodies (Late-Stage Portfolio Committee (LSPC), Early-Stage Portfolio Committee (ESPC), and SET) with R&D project and portfolio decisions. A position in this team offers an individual an exceptional opportunity for direct exposure to senior management across the organisation, combined with exposure to business issues affecting the Group’s current performance and strategic initiatives.
About this role:
You will be part of a Global team of Finance Professionals who are flexibly deployed to provide financial advice, support and challenge to Early Global Product Teams (eGPTs). Working with multiple eGPTs, you will be accountable for the robust evaluation of projects by providing high quality financial input to product investment decisions and expert financial analysis of key risks and sensitivities.
During project investment decisions you will guide AZ leaders on the financial impact of development plan decisions. This includes briefing key stakeholders at or in advance of Early-Stage Portfolio Committee (ESPC) investment decisions.
- As a member of the eGPTs, provide strategic financial advice, support and challenge to project strategy, plans and investment decisions.
- Provide proactive and innovative financial analysis and scenario modelling to support teams in assessing the cost and value impact of critical project decisions, including clinical trial design and cost
- Provide input to all governance body papers (e.g., Early-Stage Portfolio Committee), leading the preparation of the financial sections
- Ensure senior Finance leaders are appropriately briefed ahead of key decision points
- Deliver Post Deal Management Finance support for any external agreements in the brand area. This includes understanding and managing AZ financial rights and obligations, communicating this insight to relevant project/function management and to finance departments located in the regional hubs and other SET areas
- Work with the TA Finance Business Partner Lead to monitor the value of R&D spend and assess the impact of any key changes to project development assumptions and key deviations from plan
- Supporting the month close analysis and preparation of the quarterly forecast process with up-to-date asset valuations and forecasts
- Undertake ad hoc project work to assist in the improvement of Project Finance team working practices.
Minimum Requirements – Education and Experience
- The role holder will be a qualified finance professional with a minimum of 4-5 years of proven track record in forecasting, financial modelling and/or decision analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree required. An accounting qualification is an advantage.
- Other Skills and Qualifications
- Biotechnology/pharmaceutical experience preferred
- Strong analytical skills
- Proactive analysis and ability to communicate a perspective on business results
- Solution driven and able to present multiple scenarios for a given task
- The interpersonal skills to work with senior stakeholders within and outside Finance
Key skills and capabilities related to this role
- Analytical thinking - ability to collate & analyse data and identify key drivers of value
- Strong Excel financial modelling
- Financial evaluation techniques (projects, investments, etc.)
- Presentation skills / communicating financial recommendations in a way that is both impactful and easily understandable by a financial and non-financial audience
- Ability to interact and engage with senior managers in the business
- Strategic thinking and influencing - big picture view but eye for detail; Provision of independent challenge to influence decisions
- Focus on delivery – work well under pressure, meets tight deadlines
- Sets high personal standards, takes personal responsibility for delivering top class service and product
- Maintains high ethical standards and demonstrates high personal integrity
- Flexibility - to respond to fast changing business needs on short notice
- Teamwork - effective in leading / being a member of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.