Data Science & AI Summer Internship
Job Type: Full time
Data Science Internship
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom (possibly remote but must be based in the UK). Full-time
About the organization
AstraZeneca is a global, biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines, primarily for the treatment of cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory, inflammation, autoimmune, oncology, infection and neuroscience diseases AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries! And its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. For more information please visit www.astrazeneca.com.
DS&AI is a new department at AZ, and we are embedding data science and Artificial Intelligence (AI) across our R&D to enable our scientists to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines!
We are currently seeking candidates who are working towards acquiring a Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Maths, Quantitative Biology, Physics, Pharmacology, or Bioinformatics for an 8-12 week internship contract during the summer of 2023.
A number of positions are available and projects will be allocated depending on specific candidate experiences.
As a Data Science Intern you will...
- Explore, develop and apply data science and artificial intelligence skills within biomedical applications.
- Collaborate with AstraZeneca data scientists in applying machine learning, AI, and data science techniques to help push the boundaries of science to develop life changing medicines for patients worldwide.
- Support AstraZeneca data scientists in developing and implementing solutions crafted to drive the interrogation of datasets for biological insights.
Desirable Experience & Qualifications:
- Master's or PhD students pursuing degrees in Data Science, Computer Science, Math, Bioinformatics, Quantitative Biology, Physics, Pharmacology, or MD/PhD background that meets eligible criteria.
- Experience with good coding practices such as GitHub, unit testing, documentation etc.
- Coding in Python
- Statistical knowledge, data science knowledge, data visualization, machine learning skills such as: regression, classification, clustering, NLP, image analysis, graph theory or similar.
- Bioinformatics experience, including omics data
- Preferable but not required to have some experience working with health data.
- Authorized to work in the UK
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.