Principal Engineer - Hardware Product Design Lead
BAE Systems UK
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer - Hardware Product Design Lead
Location: New Malden or Broad Oak. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this role.
Salary: Up to £60k depending upon experience
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead team members in the preparation of hardware specifications, develop hardware designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out hardware design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained.
- Provide help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working and their development.
- Manage assigned resources and lead, develop and motivate assigned employees to ensure they are aware of and capable of delivering their accountabilities and provide a strong contribution to engineering team decisions to support the effective performance of the team.
- Carry out complex hardware analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of hardware options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability.
- Act as a point of contact with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on engineering matters, to resolve complex problems and issues and to maintain awareness in both parties of priorities and objectives.
- Make engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility and authority to support Product Design Certification activities including Product Safety & Environmental matters
Your skills and experiences:
- Ability to operate in a large, complex multi-project environment with significant experience in engineering or a defence or related industry
- Strong knowledge in some of the following areas:
- COTS Hardware
- Hardware design aspects
- Electrical Engineering
- Platform installation
- Environmental testing
- Hardware acceptance process
- Experience within Naval Combat Systems Development Environment across multiple lifecycle phases.
- Knowledge of the Naval domain
- Good understanding of LCM & the Engineering Lifecycle
Typically, degree qualified, likely to be in a technology, engineering or science related discipline. Meet the requirements for registration as Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council and preferably be a member of a relevant Professional body
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Design team:
As a Principal Engineer your role would be to lead and undertake hardware related engineering activities in line with all relevant processes and quality requirements for the development and delivery of CS Hardware Products.
With overall product development direction provided by the applicable Hardware Technical Authority (HWTA), the role is to lead the hardware design function team members to deliver the required design and development activities on a day-to-day basis. The role will liaise with the Product Engineering Manager (PEM) for project information.
There will also be full support from the team and the wider business to progress your career.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.