Principal Engineer - Product Assurance (Safety)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer - Product Governance (Safety)
Location: Barrow-in-Furness. Hybrid working to be on site 2 days every two weeks (subject to change – business requirements)
We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role.
What you’ll be doing:
The Principal Engineer - Product Governance (Safety) shall:
- Advise and recommend to the Senior Engineering Manager – Product Integrity, the appropriate strategic direction and planning for the department, on both Product Safety technical design and business matters
- Ensure that BAE Systems' Corporate Product Safety policy and objectives are flowed into the Submarines business unit through the production and maintenance of documentation such as policies and procedures
- Provide specialist Product Safety advice to other business functions in the delivery of their corporate/ business Product Safety objectives
- Provide coaching/mentoring and technical advice to peers as well as junior members within the department on Product Safety matters
- Deploy Product Safety documentation and campaigns into the key Submarines projects
- Lead meetings and working groups when required
- Provision of Product Safety management and analysis expertise in support of business objectives
- Provision of specialist Product Safety related advice
- Delivery of Product Safety Governance documentation such as policies and procedures
Your skills and experiences:
- Knowledge of Safety Management Systems
- Science Technology Engineering Mathematics (STEM) Degree or equivalent or working towards
- Understanding of Safety Management Systems within Marine platforms
- Understanding of the design, manufacturing, assembly, commissioning, and testing submarine lifecycle phases
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Product Governance (Safety) team:
The Principal Engineer – Product Safety (Governance) shall provide support to the Senior Engineering Manager – Product Integrity to ensure that the required level of Product Safety management is developed and deployed in our products and services throughout all phases of the product lifecycle, through the development of appropriate safety policies and processes. The successful candidate will be part of a small team working in the Engineering Product Assurance Department. While not working directly for any of the major projects they will interface with all of them at different points in the lifecycle.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.