Systems Administration Engineer
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Systems Administration Engineer
Location: Portsdown Technology Park, Portsmouth
What you’ll be doing:
- Establishing and maintaining IT and digital communication infrastructure, including LAN network Security and Management, plus Integration with WAN Networks whilst maintaining Security standards
- Establishing and maintaining digital communication software, including email, user logins and passwords, this includes setting up new users with domain email accounts and providing them with access to the network, as well as troubleshooting for existing employees
- Training new staff to operate within the Projects IT Systems/Networks and ensuring that new staff are aware of company communication policies
- Making sure that the networks are protected from malware and viruses, identifying areas that might be under threat and areas where security can be improved, keeping up to date on ever-changing cyber-threats
- Installing and maintaining firewalls, establishing and maintaining company-wide access policies to the internet and Integrated Networks
- Providing technical support and assistance to employees
- Performing analysis and collecting data to establish the potential for improvements within the domain networks
- Working with third-party providers to keep the networks running efficiently
Your skills and experiences:
- Windows Systems Administrator Experience in the delivery of projects to a fixed customer requirement
- Knowledge of communication and routing protocols used within businesses
- Familiarity with network analysis tools such as SolarWinds, Progress WhatsUpGold
- Basic knowledge of the Network Domain operations (LANs, WANs, VLANs)
- Knowledge and understanding of key networking hardware (including CPUs, wiring, and routers)
- Qualifications in computer sciences, communications, or mathematics
- Cisco qualification or equivalent technical qualifications
- Detailed computer and IT skills
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The UKLI Facilities team:
As a Systems Administration Engineer, you will report directly to the Facility Lead Engineer for the subject area who in turn reports to the Project Engineering Manager, whom has overall responsibility for the programme and deliveries.
You will be a vital member of this team, ensuring contracted project Systems Integration and Availability requirements are both implemented and met.
You will have responsibility for tracking the progress of the teams technical implementation of requirements devised from Events, Integration and General operations of the facility and ensuring progress metrics are maintained at all times.
You will also be responsible for all digital communication and the IT networks that allow companies to communicate both internally and externally with ability to install new systems to improve the company’s communication structure while maintaining the upkeep of existing networks.
On a weekly and monthly basis report Issues and Progress the Facility Lead Engineer for the Project Manager and the Project Engineering Manager to status progress/updates of set tasks.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.