Principal Engineer - Electrical
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer - Electrical
Location: Bristol / Portsmouth – Broad Oak. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role.
Salary: Up to £59,202 (Commensurate with skills and experience)
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible Engineer for the conceptual and designs of the ship wide HV and LV Distribution Systems and all the electrical equipment's and elements that make-up this package. This includes generating design calculations, drawings, safety cases, risk management and supporting design documentation in line with all quality and technical standards.
- Assess electrical elements of various Engineering System ITT packs ensuring supplier's designs comply with required standards and mandatory Technical Requirements. Offer guidance and support related to the Electrical discipline
- Carry out relatively complex technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability.
- Prepare specifications, develop designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained.
- Act as main point of contact with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on engineering matters, to resolve relatively complex problems and issues and to maintain awareness in both parties of priorities and objectives.
- Make engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility and delegated authority.
Your skills and experiences:
- Experience in engineering or a defence related industry.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of the fundamentals within current discipline.
- Recognised and consulted as one of the experts within at least one domain or for possessing deep knowledge of several domains within current discipline.
- Sufficient breadth of knowledge of warship design.
- Strong people skills and leadership
Engineers at all levels should possess an academic qualification in Engineering or other related STEM subjects as well as specific (either academic or professional) qualifications and become recognised as Incorporated or Chartered Engineers through an appropriate recognised professional institution. Engineers are encouraged, and will be supported, to achieve the relevant accreditation. Preference will be given to candidates who are already professionally registered.
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Future Projects Team:
A vacancy has arisen for a Principal Engineer - Electrical within the Future Projects Team at Broad Oak, Portsmouth.
You will be part of a dynamic, flexible, and adaptable team, applying cutting edge technology and processes and involved in the conceptual design and development of a new portfolio of Naval warships.
You will have the opportunity to work within the vanguard of technological advance, a role where no two days are the same, as well as the chance for excellent career progression opportunities within the team, and the wider business
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.