Principal Engineer - Operability
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer - Operability
Location: Barrow-in-Furness / Glasgow (Hybrid) We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements – please speak to your recruiter about the options for this role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Reviewing / assessing the developing Submarine design to ensure it is safe, operable and habitable by its crew. This will be achieved through attendance at design reviews, review of the 3D CAD model, review of design documentation and participation in experimental design and user trials, provision of design guidance and sharing of SQEP knowledge
- Providing specialist support to safety activities e.g., HAZID, HAZOPS, ALARP Optioneering workshops
- Providing specialist support to Operating Documentation (OPDOC) Production Authority in support of OPDOC derivation and verification
Your skills and experiences:
- Experienced in one of the following disciplines: Manoeuvring Room/Cat A Nuclear Supervisor, Reactor Panel Operator/Main Control Desk Operator Relevant Qualifications to skills required
- Knowledge across any of the following disciplines: Electrical Generation & Distribution, Ship & Propulsion Systems
- Operational knowledge serving on the Astute (preferred) or Vanguard Class of Submarine
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual leave incentive.
The Operability team:
You will work alongside other Ex-Submariners with experience across the full fleet of UK SSBNs and SSNs. The team of Operability Engineers specialise in all areas with whole boat experience such as Damage Control and Submarine Escape and Rescue
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.