Engineering Manager - Nuclear Safety Regulation %26 Interface
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Engineering Manager - Nuclear Safety Regulation & Interface – 00096965
Location: Barrow Hybrid – normally 1-2 days/week on site or as per business requirements
Would you like to lead a team of specialists to develop and manage the framework of arrangements to demonstrate business compliance with nuclear safety-related legal requirements and obligations and deliver an effective Operational Experience Feedback (OEF) and formal notification system, together with the arrangements for managing the interface with the business external regulators and co-Authorisees? We currently have a vacancy for an Engineering Manager – Nuclear Safety Regulation and Interface.
This role is responsible for the leadership of a team of specialist advisors to support delivery Programmes and manage the development and deployment of the framework of arrangements to demonstrate compliance with nuclear safety-related legal and contractual obligations. You will be responsible for managing the provision of an effective OEF and formal notification process as well as the arrangements for interface with external regulators and co-Authorisee, managing the collation of Safety Performance Indicators (SPI).
The extensive exposure gained across multiple business areas within Submarines Solutions will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to develop their career within BAE Systems.
Your main responsibilities as an Engineering Manager will involve:
- Own the development and deployment of the framework for demonstration of compliance with Licence Conditions, Authorisation Conditions, Permit Requirements and other nuclear/radiological safety-related legal and contractual obligations
- Being a Subject Matter Expert (SME) managing the capability for provision of independent authoritative advice and guidance on the requirements of the Nuclear Site Licence/Licence Conditions, Site Authorisation/Authorisation Conditions, Environmental Permit Requirements (as they relate to Radioactive Substances)
- Provide technical advice on arrangements for Regulatory Permissioning
- Oversight of the management of the NSR Documentation, which supports the NSRI programme of work
- Own the development, management, deployment and provision of advice on the interface arrangements between the business and the external regulatory authorities (ONR, DNSR & EA)
- Own the development, management, deployment and provision of advice on the interface arrangements between the business and co-Authorisees (NRPA)
- Be a key point of contact for regulatory authorities (ONR, DNSR, EA) regarding compliance with regulatory requirements and interface arrangements
- Be a key point of contact for co-Authorisees (NRPA) regarding co-operation and interface arrangements
- Own the development and delivery of an effective Operational Experience Feedback system for the Barrow Site that encompasses all relevant nuclear and radiological incidents and events, from both internal and external sources. The OEF system will be part of, and complementary to, BAESML's LC/AC7 arrangements
Your skills and qualifications:
- Proven nuclear specialist with outstanding influencing and interpersonal skills as well as an ability to integrate and to align, effective within and across industry and customer boundaries
- Good specialist knowledge of UK nuclear/security legislation, nuclear industry, site licensing, authorisation and environmental permitting and associated industry guidance
- Knowledge of the UK nuclear regulatory landscape, permissioning requirements and arrangements for Regulatory Interface Management
- Proven ability to lead, coach and influence multi-functional teams at senior level
- Excellent stakeholder management - ability to generate a high degree of trust and delegation, together with an understanding of, and an ability to understand parties' needs and preferences.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to explain complex & diverse engineering process & procedures effectively.
- Leadership and management for safety
- Ability to constructively challenge and drive an improvement based culture.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work collaboratively across your functional area and the wider business.
- Degree level qualifications or equivalent in STEM subject, or extensive relevant experience
- Achieved, or ability to achieve professional certification with a relevant professional body
What we're looking for in you:
- A proactive approach to solving problems, working with the wider team to develop solutions
- An effective communicator, manage messages into multiple audiences, with good influencing skills at senior levels and with both internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders with a strong customer focus and the ability to build relationships internally and externally
- Passion, enthusiasm, vision, customer service and an ability to deliver
- Inspire and lead
- Maintaining a level of SQEP for the role through personal and professional development
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a company-contributed share incentive plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive
Maritime – Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world-class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
For more information on our Diversity & Inclusion work, please click here.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.