Engineer - Mechanical (Propulsion)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Engineer - Mechanical (Propulsion)
Location: Barrow-in-Furness – We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements
What you’ll be doing:
- Supporting technical reviews, reviewing engineering designs and calculations
- Taking ownership of smaller projects / contracts
- Supporting the qualification, test and commissioning requirements of major equipment and fluid systems
- Supporting suppliers and sub-tiers during manufacturing to ensure design intent and schedule adherence
- Undertaking design change / manufacturing non-conformances / concessions
- Supporting testing / trials of systems and equipment (i.e. FAT tests)
- Undertaking functional design and/or provide qualification and evidence for acceptance, fitness for purpose, legislative requirements, and safety
- Liaising with both internal and external stakeholders as required ensuring that their requirements are adequately supported and that their needs are fully considered and incorporated where appropriate and agreed
Your skills and experiences:
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline (preferably mechanical or similar) or equivalent experience
- Experience in major equipment (gearbox/turbines/motors/pumps etc) or fluid systems design (lubricating oil/steam etc) however this is not essential
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual leave incentive.
The Engineering-Mechanical team:
As an Engineer - Mechanical (Propulsion) you will be working directly for the Technical team lead, supporting key tasks and activities in the design and build of major Submarine propulsion equipment and systems.
This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate or junior engineer which will provide a varied role working with the design, build and test of the submarine propulsion package. You will have the potential to work towards technical lead of major propulsion packages and developing towards chartered engineering status.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.