Senior Engineer - Materials Technology (Welding)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Senior Engineer - Materials Technology (Welding)
Location: Barrow-in-Furness. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements – please speak to your recruiter about the options for this role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Providing weld engineering advice and guidance to the production environment
- Assisting Sub-contractors with procedural development and technical capabilities
- Auditing potential suppliers
- Providing technical solutions for emergent in-build issues, and attendance at the subsequent Root Cause Analysis meetings
- Providing welding engineering guidance and support to structural and piping areas across the submarines business unit
- Undertaking PQR development, testing and formal approval of welding procedure specifications to support process improvements within the production environment
- Assisting with preparation and transmittal of welding documentation to production areas
- Monitoring weld quality within structural and piping areas and report findings to line management
- Conducting routine process audits within production areas to investigate defect trends and facilitate improvement
- Investigating and reviewing emerging process technology and consumables for applicability to submarine construction
- Liaising with internal departments (production, QC/QA etc.) to ensure welding process control is enforced and maintained
Your skills and experiences:
- Qualified to BSc/BEng level or equivalent in a relevant engineering subject
- A European Welding Federation qualification to Technologist/Engineer level would be advantageous
- Demonstrable working knowledge of the main welding processes typically used for structural and piping applications within a heavy engineering environment
- Familiar with national and international codes and specifications in relation to welding
- Ability to assimilate and process data from a range of sources
- Experience of mechanised cladding would be advantageous
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual leave incentive.
The Engineering team:
The role of the team is to help to develop weld procedures and provide technical authority on boats in build. You will be tasked with executing, delivering, and evaluating, complex engineering as well as cross functional tasks or programmes of work. You will be responsible for managing and implementing stakeholder and customer requirements. Within your team you will identify opportunities for development and growth, ensuring that business as well as individual capability is maintained and improved.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.