Analytics Engineer - Data Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started.
The Analytics & Data Engineering team enables Deliveroo to be data driven in how we build products and make decisions. We are responsible for ensuring the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of key data sets across all three sides of our marketplace: riders, restaurants, and consumers. We help ensure that the right data is generated at source as we innovate in our products. Our team builds (and maintains) tools and develops solutions to ingest, transform and surface data for teams across the company and other disciplines in Tech to consume, including partnering closely with data science and machine learning engineering.
We both own pipelines and processes where the use-case is primarily of an analytical nature (i.e. human decisions) and producing data sets that power algorithms like dispatching orders to riders. We set the strategy for providing reliable, timely robust business-critical data to these teams via our Kafka message bus, Snowflake data warehouse, and our BI tool Looker. We utilise a variety of data-focused products to build scalable solutions.
You could be a good fit for our team if you are comfortable working with unfamiliar codebases, internal, open source or third party. If you have a desire to deeply understand how how a business works and to play an instrumental role in positively affecting the company trajectory, Deliveroo may be the right place for you.
We need skilled software engineers who enjoy solving infrastructure and data problems with code. We don't expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in some of these areas.
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software
- 5+ years of experience with various data technologies, in particular analytics, aggregation, search and streaming technologies such as Spark, ElasticSearch and MPP data warehouses.
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management and "Infrastructure as Code". (We use AMIs, Docker Images, Terraform and Kubernetes).
- Experience with data lake design, and working with different file formats found within lakes (parquet, csv, json etc.)
- Most of our coding currently happens in Python, but we have some applications also written in Scala.
- Experience in data engineering type roles that involve partnering with others in the product/application space to ensure that data is treated like a 1st class citizen from the outset of product development.
- Professional experience writing infrastructure services and applications in any language, and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on the wider Deliveroo engineering stack (Ruby/Rails, Go and, Python).
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS and Lambda).
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.