Python Software Engineer - Athena Trade & Risk Services Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Athena is J.P. Morgan's cross-market trade and risk management platform that provides functionality for trading & sales desks globally. Athena is built on top of a replicated object-oriented database, a powerful dependency graph and has a fully integrated stack across pricing, risk and trading tools. The code is a combination of Python and C++; Python for flexibility and C++ for performance. Athena is designed to provide a continuous deployment environment – enforced by the built-in SDLC. You will be working in the Athena Trade & Risk Services (ATRS) group in London. This is a global team that engineers and maintains the components in Athena responsible for trade capture, instrument pricing, risk management and P&L reporting covering all products and lines of business (Equities, Rates & Credit). In particular, the role focuses on building the next generation of APIs to enable server-side interactive sessions, exchange structured data and facilitate rich real-time workflows such as trade tickets to book trades.
We are seeking a technically strong and disciplined Software Engineer. Working closely with QR, Trading, Operations and other technology teams, you will be expected to deliver quality code in a fast paced environment that evolves as business opportunities present themselves. The role will require an ability to attain a clear understanding of Athena’s environment and of the unique design considerations that come into play in a diverse and highly interdependent systems architecture.
As a member of the ATRS group, we look for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and best engineering practices. You are required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with our many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You'll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment-one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers globally.
This role requires a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
- Minimum BS/BEng degree or equivalent experience.
- A strong grasp of data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to work in large, collaborative teams to achieve organizational goals.
- Awareness of industry-wide technology trends and best practices.
- Good communication skills and ability to collaborate with and influence other teams.
- Self-starter attitude taking end-to-end ownership, contributing ideas and removing impediments.
- Familiarity with concurrency and parallelism; preferably in Python.
- Experience in financial services or a willingness to learn about the business and the problem domain.
- Understanding of financial securities modelling and their pricing and risk management would be a plus.
- Familiar with object/relational databases, query optimization and processing of large data sets.
- Experience working with JIRA and Agile development methodologies.
- Experience in declarative programming (reactive programming languages such as ReactiveX) would be a plus.
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world's most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.