Java, Spring, AWS Software Engineer Lead
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Artifacts Engineering is a function within the Core Development Platform. As a senior software engineer, you'll apply your skills and expertise to solve business problems through innovation and engineering practices. You need to have a high degree of empathy toward customers (developers in this case) and their challenges, understand their core use cases / business deliverables and help them accelerate the implementation of quality products and features that meet their end-user requirements. This is a highly technical and hands-on role and at times you will act as a technical advisor to customers. You will build and nurture long term relationships with our customer base and directly impact the success of them and the firm. In order to succeed in this team, you must possess the tenacity and ability to work in a constantly changing large scale complex technology, have strong passion to get to the bottom of failures across multi layered dependent components and keep the customer delight as a primary focus
As an experienced member of our Artifacts Engineering group within Core Development platform, you'll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common goals. We look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You’ll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment—one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers globally.
- Work collaboratively to ensure team and organization standards are followed and the team is consistently focused on continuous improvements and sustained delivery.
- Employ simple design and pragmatic implementation techniques to drive business value.
- Pair program with team members to build high-quality solutions.
- Be passionate about technology and constantly seek ways of learning new technology and practices
- Mentor junior team members to progress their technical and professional skills. Be open and actively seeking learning opportunities from more senior team members
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software engineering experience, with firm understanding of various design patterns, cloud native micro services architecture and engineering practices
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong experience working with Java and Spring Boot.
- Strong experience working with an SCM such as Git.
- Strong experience working with Maven as a build tool including a firm understanding of Maven standards and common practices.
- Strong implementation skills with ORM frameworks like Hibernate/JPA or MyBatis. Must be proficient in SQL preferably across multiple databases.
- Comfortable in more than two programming languages with a strong understanding of fundamental web/internet technologies.
- Experience with both Private and Public clouds ranging from IaaS to PaaS solutions. Hands on experience with Docker, Kubernetes and AWS is preferred
- Practical experience with unit testing using tools like JUnit and Mockito
- Nice to have:
- CSS, LESS, Sass skills / experience
- ES6, Node.js, Webpack, Angular, and React skills / experience
- Grafana, Kibana