CIB- Investment Banking - Global Environmental, Social and Governance Deal Services - Associate - London
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
J.P. Morgan’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Deal Services team in the Corporate and Investment Bank (CIB) partners closely with bankers, Deal Team Leads and the Global Environmental and Social Risk Management (“GESRM”) team to provide eﬃcient and timely assessment of ESG requirements during the execution of live deals. The team is primarily based in London, with members also located across North America, LATAM and APAC.
The ESG Deal Services team is mandated to support the Global Investment Bank (GIB) and Global Corporate Bank (GCB) in reviewing clients and transactions for E&S aspects in line with the firm’s Global Environmental and Social (E&S) Policy Framework, thereby safeguarding the firm’s reputation. Financial products covered include equity and debt underwriting, loans and credit facilities and M&A activity. Sector coverage includes, amongst others, oil and gas, metals and mining, soft commodities, power and utilities and infrastructure and is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to a broad spectrum of industries across multiple asset classes and geographies
The candidate will be responsible for assessing deals under guidance of the more senior members of the team. Eventually, the candidate will be expected to undertake their own transaction and client reviews. The individual needs to be a self starter, able to articulate his/her thoughts clearly and have excellent attention to detail. He/she will have a sound working knowledge and interest in E&S issues.
- Assessing E&S requirements for in scope transactions
- Assessing the E&S profile and performance of clients
- Supporting bankers / deal team on advising clients on E&S issues where relevant
- Liaising with GESRM on material escalations in line with policy
- Support the training of bankers and deal teams on E&S risk assessment
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Relevant environmental and social risk / sustainability experience (including financial services industry with exposure to ESG analysis or roles within key industries, e.g. oil and gas, mining) (3-5 years preferred)
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g., environmental studies, sustainability, geography, development economics, finance)
- Good understanding of banking products and decision-making processes
- Proactive/self-starter with the ability to deliver value-added support to business partners and clients in a dependable, timely and accurate manner
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Ability to convey information clearly, accurately and succinctly (both written and verbally)
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities.