Python Software Engineer - Athena Core - CIB Risk Platform
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
At JP Morgan we are building Athena, the best risk and trade management platform in the world.
Athena delivers innovative and efficient applications to a wide range of the firm's business, including sales, trading, operations, risk and research. Athena combines the best of open source technologies with innovative components developed internally, which gives you the ability to contribute to wide range of exciting projects. Our developers enjoy working with front office, quants and other technology teams.
The people who thrive in Athena are hands-on developers, who enjoy solving challenging technical problems. We want to hear from you if you’re someone who has strong computer science foundations and is comfortable working across different platforms and languages... We want to hear from you if you’re inspired by working in a collaborative, fast-changing environment with a high degree of code sharing and reuse. If this sounds like you, then Athena could be the perfect place to grow your career.
We have around 150 core platform engineers who develop libraries and services used by millions of applications in JP Morgan.
Why Athena Core?
- Work with some of the best technologists in the world, in a collaborative environment
- Build new stuff! You will be working on greenfield projects
- Make a difference! Your code can impact thousands of users
- Develop code quickly – Athena Core is a true continuous deployment environment – your work can go live within hours
- Variety – you could be working on a Cloud solution, high performance computing, Electronic Trading & Modelling etc. Athena Core is used across our business
The Software Engineer will contribute to building Athena’s future. Our modernization strategy for Athena is to re-engineer parts of the runtime, infrastructure and applications platform to take advantage of elastic compute and “as a service” offerings from internal and external cloud providers. As an engineer here, we are looking at your expertise in strategy, design, development and implementation of large-scale resilient systems.
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- Python and C++ to write our application code
- NoSQL databases like Redis, S3
- Relational databases like Postgres
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule our workloads
- React for our UIs.
Our team gave a great talk at re:Invent 2021 about our modernization journey.
You should apply if you have:
- Proficiency in one or more general purpose programming languages such as Python or C++ (but we’re language agnostic and love talking to polyglots!)
- Advanced knowledge of application, data and infrastructure architecture disciplines
- Working proficiency in developmental toolsets
- Ability to collaborate with high-performing teams and individuals throughout the firm to accomplish common goals
- Creative, quick-thinking, pragmatic, with an aptitude for solving problems with technology and an ability to quickly translate requirements into a sound technical design and implementation.
- Understanding of software lifecycle such as analysis, development, maintenance and software improvement
Multiples teams within Athena Core are hiring and you will need a deep knowledge in at least one of the following –
o Complex financial systems
o NoSQL databases
o Distributed systems
o Domain specific languages
o Grid computing
o Web applications
o Desktop UIs
o Developer tooling and development communities
The hiring manager for this job opening would welcome a conversation about flexible working. This could range from ad hoc flexibility in a full time position, to a more formal Flexible Work Arrangement.
Please note that the seniority level of our offer will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate, as well as the scope of their particular identified role within the team.