Data Software Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Join the Markets Data Lake Product Engineering team as a technical contributor and you will be an integral part of the build out of a high-profile, modern data platform and analytics suite that serves a wide variety of internal users and business use-cases.
The Markets Data Lake is an AWS Data Lake implementation built and owned by CIB Markets Technology that provides ingestion, transformation, cataloging and consumption tooling for other teams across CIB Markets. We are looking for candidates to work on this project to specifically build out Data Products that will help our clients drive insights and understanding of the markets business. Our users will span all areas and seniorities within the firm and you will be responsible for producing curated high quality data products produced from raw data landed by producers. You will be required to understand the business uses cases we are answering and the data, transforms and enrichments that need to happen to answer them - and then implementing them in a cloud environment. The data products will be made available to inhouse consumers through a variety of interfaces and you will work on all stages of product development from mocking up examples to successful production roll out.
- Work on a variety of AWS technologies, namely: Kinesis, MSK, Glue, Redshift and Lake Formation as well as infrastructure as code tools and in house technology platforms from which data will be produced and consumed.
- Design, build, deliver and operate high performing reliable data products.
- Build partnerships with stakeholders to understand and identify critical data, performance metrics and relevance to their business strategy to drive product adoption.
- Participate in a rapid-release environment and fast-moving team located across New York, Buenos Aires and London.
- Demonstrate software engineering best practices: unit testing, regression testing, code reviews, code reuse, performance optimization.
- Apply your problem-solving skills in a collaborative, trusting and thought-provoking environment - one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions.
- Communicate and work directly with the users of our applications and lead projects from inception to delivery. We believe the best products are created when engineers and users collaborate directly.
- Adhere to control and compliance standards.
As a member of our Software Engineering group, we look first and foremost for people who are passionate about solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices. You will be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders to stay focused on common goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning.
This role requires a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
- Degree level education in Computer Science, Engineering or other related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Advanced knowledge of application, data, and infrastructure architecture disciplines.
- Advanced knowledge of big data platforms such as Apache Spark, Hadoop, Apache Fink or AWS engineering.
- Knowledge of industry-wide technology trends and best practices.
- Ability to work in large, collaborative teams to achieve organizational goals and work with senior stakeholders.
- Proficiency in one or more modern programming languages, including either Python or Java or Scala.
- Overview and understanding of a Markets Trading Environment: solid understanding of different asset classes and main products traded and basic analytics.
- Adaptability and willingness to learn quickly on the job.