Global Commodities - Automated Trading Strategies - Associate
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About J.P. Morgan Automated Trading Strategies (ATS) group
J.P. Morgan is a top tier liquidity provider in global macro markets offering competitive pricing across commodities products, 300 currency pairs in cash and derivative products. We offer a full spectrum of Commodities products - from plain vanilla to exotic options; from commodities, major currencies to emerging markets. The Automated Trading Strategies (ATS) group drives systematic trading within this space and are responsible for algorithmic pricing, automated risk management and hedging, and intelligent order execution strategies.
Key Responsibilities covered by these areas:
The trading strategist will work as part of the ATS front-office team with primary focus on Commodities markets, primarily base metals, bullion, energy, ags and commodity indices. The environment is fast-paced and challenging. The individual must be responsible, independent and able to work in smooth coordination with the larger team to drive the desk's revenue.
The individual will work closely with various business teams to drive revenue and expand the business. Apart from that, he/she is also expected to cover a wide range of responsibilities. These include designing trading and execution strategies; researching micro-patterns and trends; building, maintaining and upgrading applications & tools; supporting day-to-day operation.
- Work with trading professionals in various countries to tailor pricing algorithms for various Commodities
- Derive automatic hedging solutions with risk managers to extract the best values out of our flows
- Work in close collaboration with sales to explore ways to expand our e-commerce footprint in the region
- Look for unique automated trading opportunities to drive our trading revenue
- Understands firm's approach and policies for managing risks in relevant business and applicable legal and regulatory rules, and follows policies.
- Balance potentially competing needs across clients, internal partners and the firm.
These points have been carefully considered as being essential for the role. Your background needs to accurately reflect all of these for your application to be considered.
- Interest in market microstructures and quantitative Commodities trading in global markets
- Attention to detail, adaptable and hungry to learn
- Design and programming skills, with primary focus on Java and Python
- Interest in applying agile development practices in a front-office trading environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as this position involves frequent interaction with different teams in the firm
- Demonstrable proficiency with market and product terminology.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively when faced with problems and opportunities. Always looking for new ways of doing things and understanding the benefits of leveraging the firms scale.
- Understands the different types of risk and able to discuss in detail ways of managing these risks.
- Ability to thrive on the challenge of competitive pressures and remain focused on client needs.
- Ability to communicate concepts and ideas, both verbally and via documentation, and be able to defend their validity and target messages to different audiences.
- Self-directed, highly motivated, and able to work independently
Nice to have:
- Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent
- Commodities markets experience and general trading concepts and terminology. Experience in the pricing and risk management of Commodities derivatives will be a big advantage
- Experience of working with exchanges, especially CME, ICE and LME
- Direct experience of agile software methodologies
- English fluency is essential