Application Security Engineer
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
We are looking for an Application Security (AppSec) Security Engineer (SE), to identify, quantify and proactively address security issues and changes in the code base of Finance, Risk, Data and Controls Technology (FRDC). The AppSec SE will focus on improving the end-to-end risk posture for FRDC, and ensure appropriate controls are implemented across the technology landscape to operate within risk appetite. The candidate will be expected to influence effective risk and vulnerability management practices, provide governance and support to technology teams. This includes a threat driven approach to enable secure from the start adoption of emerging technology and application development. The SE will be expected to drive effective risk & controls management and support the business through identification of vulnerabilities and control weaknesses and recommendations for improved security and articulate the business impact and associated risk. The AppSec SE will educate the business on proactive measures to remediate Vulnerabilities and deficiencies in code, giving guidance to application development teams as required. The Security Engineer will be part of a global team, with colleagues located within the USA, EMEA and APAC.
- Build and cultivate a culture focused on partnership, collaboration and transparency with the business and technology teams to deliver customer value and improve security posture of the firm.
- Ensure technology risk impacting the business is effectively identified, quantified, communicated and managed, including recommendations for resolution and identifying the root cause/key themes.
- Embed threat modelling, solutions architecture, secure code review into product and application teams so they are secure from the start and compliant with risk policies and regulatory obligations.
- Serve as a point of escalation and subject matter expert for IT Risk and Cyber domains, including vulnerability management, data protection, cloud and application security.
- Interface with Lead SEs, Technology Leadership and Application Development teams on an on-going basis for business as usual risk activities, reporting and project initiatives.
- Embrace the firm’s Cybersecurity and Technology Controls (CTC) control framework, Standards and Control Policies and ensure business adheres to those controls.
- Continuously educate the application development community on CTC AppSec Products and Controls.
- Evangelist of leading application scanning toolsets (Static scans, Open Source Software scans, Pen Tests, Dynamic Scans, Secure Design Reviews etc.)
- Communicate and consult to Governance & Controls ISMs, Chief Technology Officers (CTOs), Chief Development Officers and their staff to efficiently identify application remediation actions, where necessary.
- Analyze, communicate and track new and emerging vulnerabilities near real time, and proactively disseminate required knowledge to stake holders
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with in house technology teams; be recognized as an AppSec SME.
- Leadership skills, sense of ownership, attention to detail and quality.
- Ability to quickly appreciate technology policies, standards and procedures.
- Demonstrated track record of continuous learning, growing own skills and knowledge.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Experience spanning risk and controls, and/or development domains.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with ability to effectively communicate and present security risk concepts with business and technology partners.
- Analytical skills including solving and communicating complex problems, data analytics, measurement and reporting needed to drive continuous improvement.
- Collaboration, bias for action and experience working within fast paced, complex and high performing Digital/Agile/Scaled Agile teams
- Excited to learning new skills based on requirements, opportunities
- Certification in Public Cloud Technology from one of the major Cloud Service Providers (e.g. AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience working in regulated industries, in particular leveraging technology standards, frameworks, compliance, and industry recognized best practice / standards (e.g. NIST)
- Experience working in a matrix management model across globally diverse, virtual teams to deliver strategic initiatives and commitments, ideally leveraging product and Agile principles.
- Understanding of the external threat landscape, threat actors, adversary tactics & techniques, and industry trends
If you don't tick all the boxes, but are interested in the role, please do apply anyway...