Java Software Engineer - Graphite - Associate
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
This is a great opportunity to join the Payments Platform Team to help deliver the next generation of our best-in-class funds processing infrastructure. The JP Morgan payment processing platform, Graphite is at the very heart of a large portion of payments made throughout the world daily, including salaries, direct debits, online purchases and real time inter-bank transfers.
Graphite is one of the primary applications within the wider Wholesale Payments organization and the strategic solution to a wide range of payment processing flows. We are in the early stages of a multi-year re-engineering program to improve efficiency, performance, scalability, and automation to support increasing volumes, complexity and customer demands for years into the future.
As a Software Engineer, you will leverage core infrastructure products and services to meet specific application development, delivery, and support needs of the business, and of our clients. You will join an award-winning team of talented Engineers who are passionate about solving problems through innovation & engineering best practices. You will be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders to stay focused on common goals.
We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You’ll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment - one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our clients globally.
We are looking for proactive, engaging technologists with a positive attitude and a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
- A willingness to actively participate in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, including but not limited to refinement of requirements, estimation and planning, platform design and implementation, test and deployment automation, and platform resiliency and support.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to tailor communications for different audiences, ranging from senior business partners to junior technology colleagues.
- A practical and pragmatic ability to both deliver on technical re-engineering and business value in parallel.
- Knowledge, interest, and application of design patterns and development best practices
- Experience of working collaboratively within a global team.
Technical expertise includes:
- Experience in developing Java micro services, ideally with Spring Boot.
- Experience of messaging technologies including Kafka is required.
- Experience of designing and implementing RESTful APIs.
- A working knowledge of both Cassandra and relational database systems.
- A working knowledge of container management systems like Kubernetes.
- A disciplined approach to code management and automated build, testing and deployment best practices.
- An interest and natural curiosity in underlying physical infrastructure.
These skills are desirable, but not essential:
- Experience of cloud technologies, including AWS.
- Proficiency in working with the Linux OS and scripts is required.
- Knowledge of various financial message standards.