JPM Payments - Payment Network Office Relationship Director - Executive Director - Based in London
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
J.P. Morgan Payments is among the world’s largest, most trusted and innovative full-service providers in one of the most dynamic and rapidly transforming spaces in financial services. In addition to providing international cash management, liquidity, commercial card, FX, escrow solutions, merchant services and trade finance, we continue to invest in future-growth initiatives, such as blockchain, AI & ML, as well as form partnerships with rising fintechs to expand our client base and product offerings.
Boasting more than 135,000 clients in over 180 countries, J.P. Morgan Payments offers specialized solutions that provide operating efficiencies and value beyond other standardized solutions available in the market. Our global product and technology platform, integrated client service model and network of operational centers enable J.P. Morgan Payments to deliver a consistent set of services to clients no matter where they are across the world.
The Payment Networks Office (PNO) is at the nexus of these exciting developments by redefining our relationships with our Network partners (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, etc.). As a member of the PNO, you will be accountable for managing the EMEA and APAC regions working closely with the Global Network (Scheme) Relationship Managers and JPM leaders in region.
The PNO has overall responsibility for all JPMC relationships with the payment networks. This includes credit and debit card issuing (Visa and Mastercard), merchant acquiring (e.g. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, UPI, JCB and regional networks), along with payment fintech partners. The ability to work in a global, highly matrixed organization will be an important aspect of the role. The successful candidate will build strong working relationships with key internal stakeholders in the card issuing business, merchant acquiring, and across the broader JPMC Payments organization.
This role will have significant opportunity to network across many different functional groups, geographies, and will have direct exposure to senior JPM leaders. As a member of the PNO team, candidate will be expected to meaningfully contribute to the ongoing refinement of the team’s overall strategy in terms of the PNO’s scope and approach to the work it does, and ongoing tactical improvement of the way it delivers support to the lines of business it serves.
Key areas of engagement:
Payment Network Relationship Management: As an Executive Director, candidate will also need to proactively contribute to the open and collaborative culture that exists within the team and periodically provide thought leadership to all those who you work with across the firm. Assisting to manage the regional relationship with JPM’s primary payment network partners (“Schemes”) will be a critical element of this role. This role is expected to coordinate and assist in managing Network interactions and our merchant clients - as well as assessing the financial impact and implications of Network actions.
Merchant Services Payment Brand Initiatives Process: This role will also be responsible for collaborating closely with the Merchant Services Product, Technology, Operations and Field team leaders in the planning and execution of the payment brand initiatives / updates (PBI) for Merchant Services. This involves assessing the various requirements from the networks and partnering across the other groups to see through the IT development, operational implementation and the communication to merchants of these changes. The PNO is also responsible for helping address internal, merchant and Relationship Management questions about payment networks rules and the impact of changes to these rules, including providing consulting expertise on the build out of new technology platforms and expansion into new jurisdictions.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and build relationships with the Payment Brand’s leadership team to drive strategic engagement and day to day operations
- Collaborate with JPM country leaders to provide guidance and awareness of network related obligations and requirements, representing the “voice of the region”
- Negotiate mutually beneficial commercial agreements that align interests between JPM and our network partners
- Act as a liaison between internal JPM teams and the Payment Brands when queries arise out of network mandates, initiatives or announcements
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of the card brand rules
- Engage on all Global PNO initiatives as required and contribute to the overall objectives of the wider team
Proven experience managing large, complex relationships
- Experience managing and negotiating complex agreements
- Superior attention to details and process / project management skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation (oral and written) skills. Ability to articulate complex problems and solutions in a concise and relevant manner to all staff levels, including senior management
- Strong time management skills with demonstrated ability to effectively organize tasks and motivate individuals (internal and external) around initiatives
- Demonstrated experience operating in a matrix organization and leading through ambiguity
- Significant experience in the Payments Industry (Merchant Acquiring, Credit Cards, Debit Cards, or Network Operations)
- Experience in Merchant Services or the payment networks/schemes (e.g., Visa, Mastercard, etc.)
- Working knowledge of payment network fees and interchange
- Background in Consulting, Strategy, Investment Banking or other analytical client services role preferred
- Proven track record of managing a robust risk and control environment