CIB - EMEA Sales & Marketing Business Control Manager - Associate - London, UK
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank (CIB) is a global leader across Banking, Markets and Securities Services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $33 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the CIB provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Diversity is an imperative – and together, we are all accountable for our culture of respect, equity and inclusion. J.P. Morgan is working to drive a diverse and inclusive culture for our employees and our business. Through the firm’s diversity-focused Centres of Excellence and Business Resource Groups (BRGs), J.P. Morgan is enabling employees to share their unique perspectives, grow professionally and connect with colleagues who have similar interests – while advancing the firm’s diversity, equity & inclusion strategies and position in the global marketplace.
CIB Controls Management
CIB Controls Management is a team of skilled change, risk and controls experts, responsible for managing the end to end control environment. The team develops and implements the First Line of Defence governance and controls working closely across lines of business within J.P. Morgan’s CIB. Part of CIB Finance and Business Management (F&BM), Controls Management delivers responsibilities in control design, implementation, evaluation and representation to internal and external parties including regulatory bodies across jurisdictions. In the First Line of Defence function, Control Management is positioned to apply a business perspective to a range of control and regulatory initiatives.
The role is within the Business Controls Management team with coverage responsibilities for the Markets Sales business. It requires close engagement with salespeople, business support functions and risk/compliance across EMEA. The role is dynamic, fast paced and varied as you will be expected to manage routine enquiries, investigate control breaks and emerging risks/issues as they arise. The role will require engagement in large scale business/control change programs and leadership of smaller team projects. In time a successful candidate can expect to be familiar with senior Sales and functional business heads, develop a good understanding of Markets products, the technical systems that support the business and the Markets Risk & Controls framework.
- Represent Front Office interests in control and regulatory initiatives
- Be a as a trusted advisor to the business, involving yourself in a diverse set of issues that will have a direct impact on the organization
- Execute and implement business controls priorities and strategy
- Provide Front Office supervisory management and execution
- Manage the risk and control governance framework and reporting
- Provide oversight, review and execution of ad hoc/analytical requests/control deep dives/projects/resiliency
- Support Regulatory, Audits and Compliance Testing
- Drive business control forums, ensuring agenda and materials effectively cover critical business operating risk
On a day to day basis the BCM will be responsible for:
Oversight and Governance & Operational Risk Management
- Own and ensure delivery of strategic control initiatives
- Drive the control agenda to Identify and remediate control gaps
- Provide oversight, review and implementation of key firm wide policy reviews on behalf of the Business; including ad hoc/analytical requests/control deep dives/ projects/resiliency
- Review action plans from CORE ensuring material risks properly mitigated and validate execution and closure and lead CORE risk reviews
- Timely identification, escalation and recording of operational errors, performing risk analysis
- Timely review of incidents with key stakeholders to agree on root causes and delivery of appropriate remedial actions
- Lead thematic reviews to deliver a consistent and improved control environment and/or address specific regulatory concerns.
Front Office supervision
- Facilitate the execution of various Supervisory controls, attestations and exception management
- Lead development, review and implementation of Policies and Procedures on Front Office Supervision
- Understanding the business well enough to be able to proactively manage efficiencies through MIS/reporting
Regulatory, Audits and Compliance Testing
- Provide the business with guidance in relation to controls audits and testing as well as assisting in business regulatory exams
- Responsible for timely execution and completion of any issues and actions plans raised
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate controls are in place to support regulatory implementations impacting the business
The candidate should be interested in working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, participating in key initiatives, as a trusted advisor to the business, and becoming involved in a diverse set of issues that will have a direct impact on the organization.
- Expand your business insights and awareness of the broader organization and regulatory context.
- Shape the future of an evolving organization that is central to the firm’s strategic priorities.
- Leverage the platform to work closely with (and influence) colleagues across a range of disciplines.
- Develop your interpersonal skills through collaboration and relationship building.
- Think big and small - appreciate the detail, but also the wider environment.
- Improve your ability to connect the dots, anticipate issues and identify trends.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Highly motivated, energetic self-starter who takes ownership of issues
- Good organizational skills - manages & prioritizes multiple tasks across different time zones within deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven track record in developing strong partnerships within a business
- Strong team player and confident leader with excellent partnering and influencing skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving & process re-engineering skills – experience driving change and projects
- Investigative mind-set, able to see issues at both the detailed level and the implications at a high-level
- A broad understanding of Markets business and products and transaction lifecycles in key product types
- Skill and experience using Microsoft Office products
- A bachelor degree or equivalent
- Previous experience in a middle office, trading, audit, operational risk or compliance function is desirable