Asset Management - Derivatives team - Portfolio Manager - Vice President
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About the Team
The Asset Management Derivatives team (AMD) is a global center of excellence for derivatives portfolio management and platform solutions. The team operates in partnership with the whole of Asset Management in delivering derivative mandates to our clients both internal and external. This includes over $40bn of derivative overlay portfolios managed by the team.
AMD was formed in response to the growth in demand for derivative solutions across the asset management landscape. The group was formed to provide more sophisticated investment strategies in response to a range of catalysts including the low yield environment, the economic cycle, and desire for diversification away from traditional assets. The team has a wide remit to respond to internal and external client requests for derivative strategies including overlays. AMD provides a multi-asset global centre of derivative expertise that drives innovation in the derivative solutions space and partners with our traditional lines of business to leverage existing investment capabilities. The team brings with it a wealth of experience from both the buy and sell-side with extensive experience in equity, rates, currency, credit and volatility derivatives.
The Asset Management Derivatives is currently looking for a portfolio manager to help grow the EMEA team in London. The team has a global footprint with portfolio managers in Hong Kong, New York and London. As a relatively new team this is an opportunity to help shape the strategy of the team as well as gain exposure to the current mandates.
Expectations of the Role
- Day to day portfolio management of equity, rate and currency derivative overlay accounts and including management of the derivative assets hedging.
- Provide fundamental research and analysis of derivative instruments as hedging tools and as used within portfolios and overlay strategies at both the single asset class level (such as exclusively in the rates space) or across different asset classes (rates and equities for example).
- Ad-hoc analysis for clients, coordinating with risk management, technology and middle office.
- Work closely with global trading desks, and the derivative middle office to ensure efficient derivatives execution as an integral part of the investment process.
- Provide senior input to the derivatives infrastructure strategy, including PM and trading architecture partnering with our technology organization.
- Demonstrate a clear focus on controls to mitigate operating risk.
- Provide an effective liaison between the broader JPMAM and various supporting functions (e.g. Operations, Technology, Compliance, Risk, Audit, HR).
- Partner with other LOBs globally to shape the JPMAM derivatives strategy and share best practice and drive consistency across the AM platform.
- An ability to code is an advantage in both python and VBA
- Being able to build and maintain back tests to support investment thesis
- Exceptional understanding of derivatives markets in one of the following areas: Equity Derivatives, Interest-Rate Derivatives or Credit Derivatives. A working knowledge of derivative regulatory treatment recommended. A deep understanding of derivative pricing models is critical.
- First-hand experience of using derivatives as a PM or trader on the buy-side, especially at a large asset manager, or experience of derivatives trading or structuring in a large sell-side bank. Experience in all aspects of derivative management is crucial, including derivative pricing and analytics including discounting, collateral management and reporting
- Ability to evidence proof of the success of change in enhancing derivative platform capabilities. Strength in shaping a technology strategy to drive innovation. Proven track record of delivering success at scale and in a controlled manner, and delivering change.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and influence successfully a broad range of individuals. Experience dealing with internal and external clients and solving their problems in a thoughtful and innovative way
- Self-starter with the ability to think creatively and laterally. Ability to navigate a complex internal infrastructure that involves numerous groups and individuals to get things done.
- Strong focus on the bottom line of the business