Global Environmental And Social Risk Associate
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
As part of Risk Management and Compliance, you are at the center of keeping JPMorgan Chase strong and resilient. You help the firm grow its business in a responsible way by anticipating new and emerging risks, and using your expert judgement to solve real-world challenges that impact our company, customers and communities. Our culture in Risk Management and Compliance is all about thinking outside the box, challenging the status quo and striving to be best-in-class.
Global Environmental and Social Risk Management team employees are responsible for developing and implementing the firm’s approach to environmental risk (including Climate Risk) and / or social risk. They provide oversight of line of business processes that support consistent, identification, escalation, management and monitoring of environmental and/or social risk issues. Responsibilities include a) reviewing environmental and/or social risk situations that have potential material financial or reputation risk; b) providing review process guidance, identifying and proactively assessing opportunities for process improvements in environmental and/or social risk data/ technology applications and reporting; and c) partnering on environmental and/or social risk tactical and strategic projects firmwide or within the LOBs.
Firmwide Environmental Risk staff are responsible for the Risk framework and may also provide oversight and escalation point for LOB Environmental and/or Social Risk teams. The team’s primary mandate is to ensure relevant transactions meet the firm’s Environmental and Social Risk Policy requirements, thereby also helping to safeguard the firm’s reputation, and to provide effective challenge to the front office. Financial products covered include equity and debt underwriting, loans and credit facilities and some M&A activity. Sector coverage includes but is not limited to mining, oil and gas, agriculture, forestry & pulp and paper and power.
The candidate will be responsible for assessing deals and leading strategic research initiatives with support from the rest of the team. The individual needs to be a self-starter, able to articulate his/her thoughts clearly and have excellent attention to detail. The individual will be interfacing with a variety of internal counterparts across the firm as well as with clients. The role may involve limited travel and is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to a broad spectrum of industries across multiple asset classes and geographies.
- Developing and driving research on a range of environmental and social issues and thematic topics that affect the firm’s clients e.g. human rights, biodiversity, supply chain issues etc.
- Oversee and challenge the 1LOD on E&S risk matters
- Undertake enhanced E&S risk due diligence on clients and transactions (live and retrospectively)
- Support / lead training efforts within the firm on E&S risk matters
- Engage with other functions across the firm on E&S risk matters e.g. with 1LOD, Corporate Responsibility, Compliance, Controls, other risk functions etc
- Monitoring of, and participation in, responding to global E&S related regulations (existing and evolving)
- Participation in preparation of external E&S risk related disclosures
- Support on internal initiatives e.g. updates to E&S risk related documentation, research on emerging / evolving E&S risk topics, risk identification and new business initiative processes
- Support on external E&S risk related initiatives
- Assessing environmental and social risk in transactions
- Assessing the environmental and social risk profile and performance of clients
- Providing training to staff on environmental and social risk
Minimum Skills, Experience and Qualifications
We are looking for someone excited to join our organization and passionate about E&S topics. If you meet the minimum requirements below, you are encouraged to apply to be considered for this role.
- Experience in a relevant environmental and social risk / sustainability role ideally with a focus on human rights or biodiversity related topics
- Deep understanding and working knowledge of environmental and social issues and operating practices across a range of sectors
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. environmental studies, sustainability, geography, development economics, finance)
- Robust understanding of banking products and decision making processes
- Strong client and commercial focus
- Ability to convey information clearly, accurately and succinctly (both written and verbally)
- Working knowledge of the Equator Principles and IFC Performance Standards and other relevant banking and corporate sustainability initiatives
- Excellent analytical (proficient in Excel, large datasets and other third party sources) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to draft high quality presentations and documentation
- Fluency in another language (preferably Spanish or Portuguese)
- Experience working with regulators on environmental and social matters
Additional Skills, Experience and Qualifications
The following additional items are desirable, will be considered but are not required for this role
- Experience in sectors such as oil and gas, mining, agriculture, large infrastructure preferred
- Experience in topics such as biodiversity and human rights
- Working knowledge of third party E&S tools (MSCI, Sutainalytics, RepRisk, IBAT, etc)
- Hands on experience in carrying out E&S due diligence and related E&S risk management analysis
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills
- Familiarity with green products (e.g. Sustainability Linked Loans, Green Bonds, etc)
- Familiarity with emerging and current ESG topics that are or will be impacting large global banks