Corporate – Legal – Office of the Secretary – Vice President
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
J.P. Morgan (the “Firm”) is a global leader in financial services, offering solutions to the world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions in more than 100 countries. The Firm has operated in Europe for nearly 200 years and has a sophisticated local market presence across Europe, the Middle East and Africa (“EMEA”). The EMEA regional head office in London is complemented by a strong regional footprint, with offices in all major financial centres. The Firm in EMEA delivers Investment Banking, Markets, Securities Services, Treasury Services, Asset Management and Private Banking solutions to a range of clients.
The Office of the Secretary (“OTS”), which sits within the Firm’s Legal function, partners with senior management, control groups, lines of business and corporate units to promote effective governance of the Firm. OTS operates primarily through teams located in New York City, London and Hong Kong. In EMEA, OTS has a presence in London, Dublin, Luxembourg and Frankfurt.
In order that OTS can continue to provide efficient governance advice and support to stakeholders in EMEA, the team is seeking to recruit a Vice President to be based in London. The role will primarily be aligned with the Firm’s Asset Management line of business in EMEA (“JPMAM EMEA”).
The Primary Aspects Of The Role Will Be To
- Oversee and deliver corporate governance and company secretarial services to the Firm’s subsidiaries that operate within JPMAM EMEA.
- Act as the lead strategic business partner to senior stakeholders within JPMAM EMEA, including boards, the JPMAM EMEA CEO, CAO and other senior executives, providing advice on corporate governance and company secretarial matters that relate to JPMAM EMEA legal entities and funds, and leading on material communications with board directors;
- Work closely with the Deputy Head of OTS EMEA and other members of OTS global leadership in delivering the strategic and operational objectives of OTS; and
- Manage a team of company secretaries and governance professionals within OTS EMEA.
The role will suit a professional, commercially astute and dynamic individual who has extensive experience of operating within a high-performing corporate secretariat, with the ability of rapidly building credibility and influence with key stakeholders.
- Lead and manage the effective organisation of OTS service delivery to JPMAM EMEA, including the provision of proactive advice to JPMAM EMEA boards and senior management on corporate governance matters that relate to legal entities and funds that operate within the business;
- Oversee and deliver day-to-day corporate governance and company secretarial services in respect of JPMAM EMEA legal entities, including board/board committee governance and legal entity management;
- Monitor changes in corporate legislation and the financial services regulatory environment and take or recommend action as appropriate;
- Oversee and coordinate information flows to JPMAM EMEA legal entity boards and board committees, by proactively driving the agenda-setting process with the relevant board or committee Chair and partnering with relevant stakeholders on the preparation of board and committee meeting/briefing materials;
- Act as an effective channel of communication for JPMAM EMEA legal entity board members, with a particular focus on non-executive directors;
- Oversee and coordinate board member onboarding, induction and ongoing training, in conjunction with relevant stakeholders within JPMAM EMEA;
- Lead and deliver governance enhancements in relation to OTS managed legal entities; driving governance standards in line with regulatory requirements and internal policies;
- Oversee and deliver projects that impact OTS, including legal entity rationalisation and reorganisations;
- Develop effective working relationships with direct reports and others within OTS, demonstrating the Firm’s core values as a manager and colleague; and
- Provide mentoring, technical coaching and training to other members of OTS and support their professional development.
Academic And Professional Qualifications
- Strong degree-level academic background;
- Qualified Company Secretary, Corporate Governance Professional or Corporate Solicitor with at least six years of relevant experience.
Knowledge And Experience
- Track record of leadership on corporate governance and company secretarial matters within a high-profile environment, including extensive interaction with non-executive directors;
- Track record of delivering change and driving corporate governance best practice;
- Detailed understanding of corporate governance matters impacted by changing law and regulations in the financial services industry;
- Strong team management skills, with a depth of experience in coaching and developing individuals; and
- Experience gained working in other regulated asset management or insurance organisations preferred.
Skills and Personal Qualities
- Impeccable integrity;
- Emotional intelligence and gravitas, to develop and maintain effective working relationships with board members and senior management;
- Balanced and measured;
- Adaptable approach;
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented;
- Ability to work independently, in a team and manage a team;
- Strong written and verbal skills, and an effective communicator with maturity to deal effectively at all levels of the organisation;
- Able to prioritise, handle time pressure and manage multiple projects at the same time, with flexibility to adapt to and manage shifting expectations appropriately; and
- Good judgement, self-awareness, tact and discretion