Maritime Controller Vice President - Property Accounting - European Real Assets Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You will work closely with an experienced group of professionals while being involved in all aspects of financial reporting, analysis, accounting, internal controls, and oversight related to maritime investments owned both directly and through partnerships.
The European Real Assets Group identifies, analyzes, acquires and manages real estate and maritime assets through a variety of ownership structures. As investment manager on behalf of its clients, JPMAM develops, redevelops and operates these assets. JPMAM also assesses capital markets and controls investment risk in determining the optimal financing, diversification and disposition strategies for the managed assets.
The European Real Assets Group seeks a Controller with at least 5 years of post- qualification experience. We seek candidates with an extensive private equity, investment management or real estate accounting background to assist with the financial management and reporting, which includes client and internal reporting requirements. We also seek candidates with experience working with a team of finance professionals and someone that is capable of working independently with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Oversight and assist with management of Maritime Funds; develop and maintain a financial infrastructure that operates with the efficiency and flexibility to respond to the demands of a growth oriented business; ensure that responsibilities and deadlines are adhered to.
- Oversight of the quarterly accounting and financial reporting process for all investment products; continually improve the level and content of reporting and communication
- Understanding of investment structures, debt documents, partnership agreements, and purchase and sale agreements; Evaluate the accounting and reporting issues related to various deal structures and proposals.
- Oversight of financial due diligence for acquisitions by working with appropriate individuals within the Real Assets Group, as well as third parties, sellers, JV partners, legal counsel, etc.
- Broadly interact with independent external auditors, tax practitioners, deal and third party service providers.
- Actively participate in the determination and review of valuations.
- Ensure that local operator/partner accounting systems and records are properly controlled and periodically audited.
- Develop and maintain relationships with all internal and external clients and consultants; Assist and coordinate responses to client and consultant requests.
- Review and oversight of management analysis including asset, fund and business level budgeting and reporting.
- Project management: ability to manage and organize resources, conduct effective presentations, facilitate meetings, and gain consensus around issues.
- Ability to act decisively, form opinions, solve problems and make recommendations.
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships internally (within JPMAM Real Assets) and externally (within the broader JPMAM business).
- Relevant financial and accounting experience in the private equity or real estate industry with a proven track record of managing controllership, reporting and finance functions.
- Understanding of Fair Market Value accounting.
- Chartered Accountant (ACA or ACCA) required. Big 4 or mid-sized training.
- Familiarity with currency implications and accounting treatment.
- Experience in closed-ended commingled funds, limited partnerships, opportunity funds, and operating company investments.
- Experience in open ended funds an advantage.
- Familiarity with US GAAP, LUX GAAP and IFRS a plus. Current knowledge on industry accounting and tax trends/issues.
- Computer literacy and strong knowledge of Excel.
- Knowledge of Yardi a plus.