Climate Scientist, Climate Tech, CIB Digital Innovation
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Climate Innovation is a key priority for the CIB and for Digital Innovation – the changes unfolding in societies, businesses, and technology represent one of the most important opportunities to innovate in our history.
The ClimateTech team sits at the intersection of finance of climate innovation – the team identifies and executes on cutting-edge ideas by formulating strategy, investing in innovative ClimateTech companies, and building creative and scalable products.
The team partners closely with CIB’s core businesses (Banking, Markets, Securities Services, Payments), climate and ESG-related teams, and with the Strategic Investments team. Your peers in Digital Innovation will include professionals in strategy and fintech, engineering, UI/UX, product management, ML/AI, data science, coaching, and ideation/communication.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced climate scientist / strategist to join our mission in powering the future of ClimateTech by making the best and boldest ideas reality. An ideal candidate is one who brings in deep academic knowledge, practical experience in climate science, and experience in climate finance.
- Research topics related to climate finance, carbon markets from a scientific lens
- Formulate science and data-based strategy for JPM’s Corporate & Investment Bank, its relevant businesses and client solutions
- Conduct technical due diligence on ClimateTech startups / companies and provide science and data-driven recommendation to internal stakeholders
- Provide technical and analytical advisory on for potential product development, partnering with businesses and product to define analytical approaches
- Publish relevant internal / external whitepapers and thought leadership publications related to carbon markets, climate finance, and sustainability strategy
- Educate internal stakeholders on carbon markets, climate science, and other climate-related topics
- Develop relationships with ecosystem players, including but not limited to: public sector (governments, NGOs), private sector (corporations, investors), and academia (universities)
- Attend industry events and conferences, representing J.P. Morgan and ClimateTech team to external stakeholders
Skills and qualifications
- 8+ years of strong background in academic and/or practical experience in climate science, and demonstrated track record in delivering scalable impact in the field
- PhD degree in climate science and relevant disciplines (e.g.: energy systems, climate change, environment and climate research, atmospheric sciences, sustainable development policies, etc.)
- Ability to translate complex analyses and synthesize into key insights for data-driven decision making and apply practical solutions
- Effective communication to senior stakeholders including translating technical insights into concise and business-friendly language
- Excellent attention to details
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience with the application of climate science to commercial sustainability strategy and climate finance / sustainable finance
About Digital Innovation
The Digital Innovation team is bringing clients into the future by making the best and boldest ideas in finance a reality. We’re looking for a passionate colleague to execute on this mission, joining one of the most exciting, creative, and high-growth areas of JPM’s Corporate & Investment Bank (CIB).
Digital Innovation’s focus includes ESG, DLT, platforms, operations and several other key areas. We invest in ideas and companies that will generate returns, cost savings or control impact, using a three-year horizon for the Investment Banking, Markets, Securities Services, and Payments businesses.
Digital Innovation’s culture is collaborative, collegial, creative, and tenacious—it operates with a sense of urgency and hustle. Candidates should come with an understanding of the opportunities and constraints of working in a highly regulated industry. Please apply if you have the perseverance to succeed when faced with roadblocks. Please also know you will be joining a team that values both work-life balance and exceptional ability to execute.