CIB Treasury Financial Analytics and Optimisation - Associate
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Corporate & Investment Bank Treasury is a critical function within CIB Finance and Business Management. It is responsible for managing the liquidity and capital positions of the investment banking businesses, establishing transparent and market-based funds transfer pricing policy and developing methodologies and metrics to improve the collateral and liquidity risk management capabilities of the Corporate and Investment Bank. CIB Treasury works closely with Corporate Treasury and Liquidity Risk in developing consolidated liquidity risk metrics and coordinating analysis and reporting for regulators and rating agencies on related topics.
Within EMEA, the team works closely with senior finance leadership to assess the funding and liquidity impacts of the CIB’s legal entity strategy in the region, monitors and optimizes the liquidity and funding requirements of the CIB in the regional legal entities and supports regional legal entity governance requirements as well as providing input from a regional perspective to firmwide CIB initiatives.
This team is looking for a high performing associate to take on the role in the EMEA CIB Treasury Financial Analytics and Optimisation team within CIB Treasury. There is an array of complex and high priority initiatives in this space. This role will have exposure and responsibility across varying levels of management and lines of business and is an excellent opportunity for a candidate who is interested in a strategic view of the CIB’s activity and who has a keen interest in capital markets, liquidity risk management and funding.
Current and potential projects
While the suite of projects can evolve, given the current level of regulatory and internal requirements for liquidity and funding analysis and reporting and the criticality of these functions in all ongoing business, there are generally a significant number of interesting and high profile projects that require leadership in this space. Current projects include the below at this time.
UK Bank Levy Allocation
- The UK Bank Levy is designed to “ensure that banks make a fair contribution to reflect the risks they pose to the financial system and to the wider economy” and “to encourage banks to adjust their balance sheets to reduce risk”.
- This project requires interaction with Senior CIB LOB representatives, Corporate Tax and Finance leadership to ensure
- a robust and repeatable process for calculating CIB inputs to the levy calculation
- an appropriately designed and clearly understood allocation of levy costs to the businesses
- clear and prudent estimates of the levy impact to the CIB
- Currency Framework project is planned to:
- Define a comprehensive currency reporting framework and associated operating model to ensure CIBT have a clear and detailed understanding of currency sources and uses in the CIB.
- Assess whether changes are required to current CIB transfer pricing policies to ensure appropriate incentives in place with respect to currency (and if so, implement these changes).
- Determine what level of currency forecasting is useful / required and develop a process to forecast and to track versus actuals at this required level of granularity.
- Provide input, as required, to development of cash management system to ensure appropriate systematic visibility of currency funding risk by tenor.
- Development of CIBT EMEA tools and work practices, ranging from benchmarking liquidity management processes vs. regulator expectations to working with technology to automate some processes and to identify and implement technology enhancements generally
- New business initiatives analysis of liquidity, funding and balance sheet impacts including liaising with various stakeholders to communicate the proposals and highlighting the risks.
The preferred candidate will be a dynamic individual with intellectual curiosity and a strong track record of insightful analysis and control focus coupled with delivery of projects.
- Working knowledge of Investment Bank products, along with financial theory and accounting principles – preferred
- Knowledge of ALM, funding and liquidity and regulatory developments in the treasury space (e.g. LCR, NSFR) - preferred
- Strong analytical, investigative problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Self-starter, who is able to work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment
- Focused work ethic, good business sense, and demonstrated initiative
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills and the capability to engage various functions, locations, and businesses – prior experience across a variety of CIB businesses would be a benefit
- A ‘hands on’ team player who is equally comfortable carrying out detailed analysis on an independent basis or coordinating input from others
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint (including PitchPro)
- Working knowledge of Alteryx or/and Pathon - preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication abilities