Data Science Graduate - LV= General Insurance
Liverpool Victoria General Insurance Group
Location: City of Bristol
Job Type: Not Specified
Are you looking for a new opportunity for 2023? If so, we are excited to be recruiting Graduate Data Scientists into our growing and hugely successful team, made up of over 50 talented and diverse Data Scientists, Engineers, Analysts and Hunters.
As a Graduate Data Scientist, you will help build end to end machine learning solutions across the entire business that are essential to LV=GI’s ability to serve our millions of daily customers in a competitive manner. The team operate as a consultancy within the business, working closely with different business areas identify opportunities, develop solutions and drive the implementation of Machine Learning across the entire organisation with a focus on the delivery and realisation of benefits.
You will be involved in all aspects of machine learning projects, from liaising with business subject matter experts, to model building, evaluation and deployment. You will also be involved in the development of new and innovative tools and techniques for use across the team through internal packages, innovation projects and university research partnerships.
This is an opportunity for someone with curiosity, to look beyond raw data and tell the story behind it. The role offers a chance to develop and operationalise analytics solutions, to answer key business questions and improve business processes by leveraging machine learning.
The team is very experienced with dozens of models already in production and having a big impact across the business. The established nature of the team and the depth of knowledge available makes it an ideal environment to start your career. There will be plenty of opportunities to progress for motivated individuals and training will be provided to make this happen.
We have roles available across sites in London, Bristol and Bournemouth and you’ll be working closely with the entire team across these offices. To find out more about the team check out the link below
As a graduate, we understand it will take time to learn the role and find your feet, and we will be there to support you as you develop. To ensure you are ready to get the best start, you should meet the following requirements:
- Numerate/STEM degree
- Programming experience, preferably in Python
- Awareness of machine learning techniques such as linear and tree-based methods
- Excellent communication skills, especially the ability to convey technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Proactive work attitude
- Curiosity around data
- Problem solving aptitude
The following are not required, but may help your application:
- Masters or PhD
- Experience with common data science packages for example pandas, numpy and scikit-learn
- Awareness of coding best practices
- An understanding of the importance of model explainibility
- Experience in data visualisation and knowledge of its risks
If you are successful in passing the CV screening process you will be invited to an in-person/online assessment day due to take place late November or early December. This will include different sessions assessing your technical and soft skills. The technical skills assessment will be delivered in Python using a Jupyter notebook. It will be an opportunity for you to demonstrate your understanding of basic programming and application of some common data science packages. A final decision will be made after this assessment day.
Rewards and Benefits
This role is a Band B in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page here. We want you to love what you do that’s why we’ve put together a benefits package that recognises and rewards a job well done.
We’ll give you:
- Flexible working opportunities – many of our employee’s job share or work part-time, flexi-time or compressed hours. Our hybrid model now offers all employees the option to work from home 3 days a week and 2 days in the office
- 26 days' holiday – which increases after two years’ service to 28 days
- A competitive pension for which LV= will pay twice the amount you pay, up to 14%
- An annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Up to 20 hours paid volunteering hours a year
- A flexible benefits package (e.g. discounted retail vouchers, great value dental insurance, childcare vouchers)
- Private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- A generous 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel and up to 50% discount on your car insurance.
- To find out more about our benefits and rewards click here
Here at LV= we always love to hear from great people, so don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and become a fan on Facebook. We’re also proud to say we’re an equal opportunities employer. Why not follow us on Glassdoor and take the opportunity to see real reviews of what it’s like to work here.