Project Director - Transport Planning (Active Travel)
Location: City of Bristol
Job Type: Full time
We're currently recruiting for a Project Director in Active Travel to support the ongoing growth of the active travel business for the Transport Planning team across our national network of offices. This position can be based out of one of our Bristol, Southampton, Birmingham, Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, London or Croydon offices.
The role will focus on helping secure and deliver work for our active travel portfolio and be part of the senior team responsible for business development, customer liaison and project delivery - supporting our Active Travel Practice Lead. You will also support team development and management, providing technical and project management and / or directorship. The role will require close working with all parts of the Transport Planning business within the Integrated Transport Division.
The primary purpose of the role is to grow and deliver the team's active travel business across the UK. You will work closely with colleagues across the UK regions, supporting the national Surface Transport Account Leaders.
You will also have the opportunity to contribute to the teams' wider portfolio of UK and international projects. Our current projects include a diverse range of transport planning, active travel and support work for a range of public authorities including Liverpool City Region, Transport for West Midlands, West Yorkshire Combined Authorities, Transport for Wales and Transport for London. Our current work includes supporting clients to develop their LCWIPs, helping clients to justify and appraise active travel schemes through business case processes and designing high-quality and transformational infrastructure.
A key part of the role will be developing and supporting relationships with external clients, often working as part of a multi-disciplinary team where Mott MacDonald provides a variety of engineering, environment, transport planning, costing and related services. Internal networking will also be important to the role, to help sell our active travel expertise to the rest of Mott MacDonald Group. You will have responsibility for developing relationships across those internal and external streams, as it relates to the growth of the Integrated Transport Division and specifically our active travel transport planning business. Tasks include:
- Securing and delivering an active travel planning / design work stream
- Directing project teams on active travel projects
- Ensuring quality delivery to industry and client standards and Mott MacDonald best practice guidelines and quality assurance procedures
- Expanding our external and internal markets
- Business development, leading proposal writing, interviews and presentations
- Liaison with clients and other project stakeholders
- Overseeing, developing and mentoring team members including skills transfer and training
- Leading and encouraging professional excellence activities.
As a transport planning professional, you have a degree in a relevant subject and have obtained Membership of a relevant professional institution. You are able to demonstrate and communicate in-depth active travel experience covering: technical knowledge; project delivery; project leadership, customer liaison; commercial and management experience; gained over working with a number of private and/or public sector organisations, preferably with a consultancy.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Experience in taking responsibility for the active travel transport planning and / or engineering elements of development and transport infrastructure proposals
- Successful business development experience within the active travel field
- Experience leading a portfolio of clients / projects in the active travel field
- Good leadership, team management, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to providing high quality solutions and advice to clients
- Capable of nurturing strong customer relationships, developing business, motivating and encouraging staff and raising our profile.
Although not essential, holding an MSc or post degree qualifications in a transport or engineering related subject would be beneficial.
We can offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
An annual professional institution subscription
Enhanced parental leave
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.