Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
We are looking for suitable individuals to perform a Pavement Engineer role in our expanding transportation Pavement Team, supporting delivery of airfield and highway projects. Our team is based in our Transport Unit and provides pavement engineering advisory services across the Mott MacDonald Group. As a member of our team, you will get the opportunity to support airfield and highway projects in a variety of capacities, including as a designer for flexible and rigid pavements, provider of asset management advisory services and providing support to research studies and innovation projects.
Mott MacDonald's Highways & Intelligent Transport Systems Division delivers services across the entire project lifecycle. Whether we are planning, designing and implementing new airfields and roads, or maintaining, managing, improving and operating existing airfield and highway infrastructure, we deliver innovation, cost certainty and added value through collaborative working with clients and a culture of continuous improvement.
The Division is primarily based in the UK, delivering projects to clients such as Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), National Highways, Transport Scotland, DfT, Contractors and Local Authorities. We specialise in design and construction, progressing schemes from option identification and appraisal through preliminary detail design to supervision of works on site.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
Following our continued growth and wider success in winning major projects across the UK and overseas, we are looking for a Pavement Engineer to join our technical advisory team. This role can be based out of any one of our Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Southampton, Croydon, Sheffield or Leeds offices. This is an opportunity to take a role in developing and growing our vibrant airfield and highways pavement team and contribute to achieving a high performing shared enterprise with our partners. You will be using our go digital platforms where you will be an integral part of the wider design teams located around the UK.
As a Pavement Engineer you will work with the team to fulfil the needs of our clients across a wide range of projects. Additionally, you'll promote our health, safety and well-being policies and ensure these are incorporated in any design as well as ensuring design outputs meet our quality obligations and requirements set out in our Business Management System (BMS)
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Airfield pavement design to UK and international design standards;
- Highway pavement design to UK and international design standards;
- Assessment and prioritisation of pavement intervention works;
- Optimisation of maintenance and renewal works/schemes for clients;
- Condition assessment and root cause analysis of pavement defects/failures;
- Supporting technical parts of the business to fully take account of operation and maintenance;
- Provision of advice on carbon reduction in pavement design and maintenance;
- Implementing digital technology to increase delivery efficiency or enhance project outcomes; and,
- Supporting the development of bids to increase the pipeline of work.
You will be proactive, enthusiastic and eager to play a part in a growing team.
Essential academic, professional qualifications and experience:
- Expertise in pavement design, materials and pavement testing;
- Civil Engineering degree or equivalent; and,
- Security Clearance (SC) and/or willingness to obtain SC.
Essential competencies / skills:
- High standard of verbal and written communications;
- Attention to detail and good proofing skills;
- Strong interpersonal / people skills;
- Ability to work in a fluid and fast environment; and,
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people.
Desirable academic, qualifications, experience, competencies and skills:
- Experience working on civil and/or military airfield pavement engineering projects and familiarity with airfield pavement standards and specifications, such as DMG27, FAA and ICAO
- Knowledge of specialist pavement design software such as FAARFIELD or CIRCLY;
- Experience on highways and/or other pavement structures (e.g. heavy duty port pavements, industrial pavements etc.)
- Experience using asset management systems (AMS) or pavement management systems (PMS); and,
- Working towards Chartered Engineer status.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
An annual professional institution subscription
Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.