Data Analyst - Engineering Assets
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Our Special Services team is looking for a Data Analyst to support our business in the area of Information and Civils Asset Management. This is an opportunity to apply and further develop your data analysis and information management skills within the civil engineering sector, actively working on solutions that help our clients in achieving their objectives towards Net Zero. You'll work as part of a highly successful and innovative team, helping to advise our infrastructure-owning clients in the creation and management of their civil engineering assets, predominantly in transportation systems, from bridges and tunnels to earthworks and drainage. Our projects include development and support of asset information management systems for civils assets, development of hazard indices using data science techniques, applied R&D of technology for capturing and interpreting asset condition and helping our clients to visualise and understand their data.
It's an opportunity to be creative in developing information and technology-based solutions to real-world problems, obtaining, organising and extracting value from data, and using the resulting information to help our clients make good decisions. To do this you'll work collaboratively as part of a team alongside engineers, technologists and other data analysts to develop and deliver these solutions and make a positive contribution to the safety, performance and sustainability of our clients' infrastructure, for the benefit of society.
- Working as part of a team to help define and develop approaches to getting value from data, and working independently on specific analysis tasks.
- Cleaning, structuring and querying asset data, building and using tools for analysis, identifying patterns and trends.
- Applying rigorous quality procedures for management of version control and audit trail in code development.
- Researching and evaluating the potential application of new and emerging technologies for infrastructure data capture and analysis.
- Helping to create decision support tools that combine, contextualize and create value from collected data.
- Communicating findings to both technical and non-technical people, verbally, statistically, in writing, through visualizations and presentations.
You'll enjoy taking on technical challenges and using your analytical nature, your understanding of data and your analysis skills to develop effective solutions. You will be motivated by the satisfaction that comes from gaining new insights into the performance and behavior of assets, using your capacity for creative problem-solving alongside a rigorous, thorough and structured approach to the organisation and exploration of data. You'll be interested in researching and applying new and developing technologies for data capture and analysis, and excited by the opportunities that they bring to help you in your role. You'll enjoy engaging with others, including specialists from civil and structural engineering and asset management, to help understand and interpret data and to develop tools that help to visualize and explore it, supporting effective decision-making.
We'd also like you to:
- Be educated to Degree or Masters level in an appropriate STEM discipline, ideally with an element of applied statistics and data analytics.
- Be logical, meticulous and thorough, with strong problem-solving skills and data analysis, ideally with some experience gained in a technical or business environment.
- Have an understanding of issues relating to the quality of data and how these can be resolved.
- Understand programming concepts and methods, databases and data analysis, and preferably be familiar with languages such as Python, MS SQL or MatLab, and Git or similar tools for code management and version control.
- Have good English written and verbal skills, be able to effectively collaborate and communicate with technical specialists from other disciplines and with non-technical people in language that they will understand.
- Be intellectually curious and find reward in applying your technical skills and creativity to meet challenges and solve problems.
- Be self-reliant and motivated to look beyond the immediate task, see the bigger picture and identify opportunities to grow and do things better, providing added value to colleagues and clients.
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.