Principal Sustainability Consultant
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Sustainability Consultant to join our growing Environmental Sustainability Services team (based in Birmingham) within our Water and Environment business. Our Birmingham office supports both public and private sector clients across the region and nationally, and this is an opportunity to work with our net zero and climate resilience teams to support the development and implementation of sustainability and low carbon design strategies. In this role there will be opportunities to work on projects across multiple sectors; our team delivers projects across all sectors including Energy, Rail, Transport, Water, Defence and Built Environment.
The role is an opportunity to work with our multi-disciplinary project design teams on environmental and sustainability assessments and strategies to develop and deliver sustainable design solutions, and will include:
- Leading environmental and sustainability teams to deliver sustainability strategies, management plans, Environmental Impact Assessments and Sustainability Appraisals;
- Management of specialist teams to produce deliverables such as carbon assessments, climate change risk assessments and biodiversity net gain strategies;
- Facilitating sustainability workshops and materiality assessments with clients, industry partners, and project teams;
- Being responsible for driving sustainable outcomes and influencing design solutions at a project and programme level;
- Managing the implementation of sustainability opportunities from conception through to completion;
- Engaging with clients at a senior level;
- Supporting local team leaders on business development related activities and resourcing;
- People management including coaching and mentoring of junior team members in their career development.
Candidate qualifications, skills and experience to include:
- Qualified in a related technical subject (Minimum of a Bachelor's degree essential);
- Qualified to Masters degree level in a relevant subject (desirable);
- Chartered with a professional institution (e.g. CIWEM, IEMA) (desirable);
- Experience using sustainability rating tools such as BREEAM or CEEQUAL (desirable);
- Experience interpreting and using climate and carbon data to inform decision making (desirable);
- Applied knowledge of UK environmental and sustainability legislation and policy;
- Experience working in diverse multi-disciplined teams and leading teams to produce environmental and sustainability deliverables to a high standard;
- Experience working in client facing environment and ability to build relationships and influence stakeholders to deliver positive outcomes;
- Well organised with strong planning and management skills, with ability to produce high quality deliverables and manage budgets and programmes;
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to problem solve, think creatively, and seek continual improvement.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.