Senior Rolling Stock Engineer (Structures)
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Mott MacDonald's Rolling Stock team is a highly successful centre of excellence for railway rolling stock knowledge, supporting a diverse range of customers including government departments, train owners, train operators and manufacturers of railway rolling stock. The Rolling Stock team is an integral part of Mott MacDonald's Railways division which employs over 350 rail consultants.
The job will ideally be full time, but requests for flexible part-time working would be considered.
For this role you will report to a team leader and be based in our Derby office.
You will be responsible for delivering a broad range of consultancy tasks in the field of railway vehicle structures. This will involve undertaking structural assessments using hand calculations, and finite element analysis, utilising software including ANSYS and MathCAD. You will also be involved in site visits to inspect rail vehicles, and to provide guidance regarding the structural acceptability of vehicle repairs.
The results of any structural assessments will be detailed in formal technical reports or letters.
Part of your responsibilities will be to communicate with key clients and continue to promote Mott MacDonald and the services we offer. In addition, you will be required to produce proposal documents for new work packages, including estimating the costs required to undertake the activities being proposed.
There may also be opportunities to travel to other locations (company or client, office or site) within the UK and overseas.
For this vacancy it is essential that you have structural engineering experience and finite element analysis experience.
It is not necessary for you to have all the requirements below but some of them would be an advantage for this job:
- A Degree in engineering.
- A Chartership in engineering.
- Good knowledge of the rail industry and experience of assessing designs to railway standards (e.g. GM/RT 2100, EN 12663, EN 13749); if you have knowledge of other national standards such as Australian and North American, that would be a bonus.
- Previous experience using ANSYS finite element software (both Workbench and APDL).
- Experience of undertaking rail vehicle inspections and designing/assessing structural repairs.
- Knowledge of welding and fracture mechanics calculations.
- Expertise in structural hand calculations.
- Experience of producing or reviewing design submissions.
- Ability to analyse data using nCode Glyphworks.
- Experience of analysis of railway wheel designs and railway axle design assessments.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
An aptitude and willingness for mentoring less experienced engineers.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.